rebuilding a 4.0 ohv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rebuilding a 4.0 ohv

Reaction score
City, State
downers grove, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
so... i decided to rebuild an engine for my 93 ex. I'm not sure if i should bore it .30 over or not... and I was also thinking about having my heads machined to add compression but I'm not sure how much i should have taken off. and what else should I do to the engine? i plan on getting the COMP Cams 49-422-8 camshaft....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having the heads decked will not add much compression. A better option would be to add a set of 95TM heads or SOHC pistons. If you search for "95TM" heads or "SOHC pistons" you should find a ton of info.

Boring it out will only give a few cubic inches of more displacement. And it's kind of expensive. I wouldn't do it unless the cylinders are wore enough that it needs it. Once you get the heads off, you can check the piston to cylinder wall clearance with a feeler gage. The spec should be listed in a Hayne's or Chilton's repair manual. If everything is within tolerance, I'd disassemble the engine, have all the parts cleaned by a machine shop and reassemble with new bearings, rings, etc.

Boring it out will only give a few cubic inches of more displacement. And it's kind of expensive.

x2 Now if you plan on stroking it thats a different story

Wanna buy my white one??? :D

hey J...... how much you selling it for? what would stroking do?

Stroking will give the piston a longer stroke resulting in more power/cubic inches. However i don't know if they make a kit for the 4.0 (i doubt it) so you'd probably have to make your own.

I'd like between 3-4 for it but i'm always open. Hell i'd give you the mirror, tires, rims, and truck for 3.5. I'd even leave the KKM in for you.

Stroking will give the piston a longer stroke resulting in more power/cubic inches. However i don't know if they make a kit for the 4.0 (i doubt it) so you'd probably have to make your own.

I'd like between 3-4 for it but i'm always open. Hell i'd give you the mirror, tires, rims, and truck for 3.5. I'd even leave the KKM in for you.

I'll just take the mirror, tires, rims for now... i dont really need another ex... can i get those this weekend?

Wow I'm sorry I'm late to this thread, I recently went all out on a rebuild on my engine, it was rebuilt about 15k miles ago so I did almost everything you could do beside the bottom end. MY advise is to just get the 95tm heads cause your heads are going to crack sooner or later. Sorry but it happens too common to our heads. Check out my garage. The truck runs so amazing now.

Where on the heads is the stamp showing the casting version of the head? I just received heads from Alabama and would like to see if I have the 95TM or 98TM version. I did a quick glance over them thru the plastic cuz I didn't wanna pull them out yet and didn't see it.

The 95TM had the larger exhaust ports where the manifolds hook up right? Could this be the reason the JBA headers primaries for '95-'97 are 1 5/8" and the 98'-00' are 1 1/2"?

Back