Rebuilding ohv 4.0l | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Recently bought a 92 Eddie Bauer and a 94 Limited. Both automatics with elec-4x4s. Pulled the engine of the Eddie and tore it down to rebuild and put into my 92 XLT. My friends and I have been deburring and porting the heads and block. Also honed the cylinders and are currently working on cross-hatching them. Waiting on parts and gaskets to arrive. Planning on gasket matching everything. We are also gonna remove the front axles to convert mine to 4wd. The only thing I would prefer to have is a m-t case instead of the electronic one i currently have. Does anyone know were I can get one or someone willing to trade?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the for sale section. If not, I have seen a few for sale on The Ranger Station classifieds.

I just posted one for sale here on craiglist. It is currently in a 93 explorer I am parting out, but I can uninstall it tomorrow. The engine is also for sale (162k miles). I am located in Phoenix, AZ.

The going rate seems to be $200-250 but I am open to trades of computer stuff, an audio receiver with hdmi switching, FA600 drop pitman arm, car audio amplifier (have sony 1200watt - looking to upgrade), etc.

Not sure how you want to handle shipping. Hit me up if you are interested.

Picked my block up from the machine shop yesterday and got started on rebuilding it. Waitn for my camshaft to arrive and trying to find plastigauge to check bearing clearances so I can get the lower end put back together. Any one have any experience with the accel coil?

I just posted one for sale here on craiglist. It is currently in a 93 explorer I am parting out, but I can uninstall it tomorrow. The engine is also for sale (162k miles). I am located in Phoenix, AZ.

The going rate seems to be $200-250 but I am open to trades of computer stuff, an audio receiver with hdmi switching, FA600 drop pitman arm, car audio amplifier (have sony 1200watt - looking to upgrade), etc.

Not sure how you want to handle shipping. Hit me up if you are interested.

Sorry can't do it, can get em from junkyard for about $150. I was hoping to get rid of one of mine really; because I have 1 1354e and 1 AWD with selectable high and low out of a 97 sport

Picked my block up from the machine shop yesterday and got started on rebuilding it. Waitn for my camshaft to arrive and trying to find plastigauge to check bearing clearances so I can get the lower end put back together. Any one have any experience with the accel coil?

From what I've read the Accel coil is unnecessary. Stock Ford 6 cylinder coil pack is plenty strong, even for forced induction.

I believe the quote is something like, "I'd rather fold my money into paper airplanes and throw it off a bridge, I'd get better results than buying Accel products".

Thanks for the info, but I would like to hear from someone that has ran an accel coil. My stock coil is going bad, so I wanted to collect some info before I make any purchases. I have only heard good & bad things about the accel coil from people who haven't used the product.

Got done painting my block the other night & here is the result

p1000936.jpg

p1000937.jpg

Sorry but Idk how to adjust the image size

Thanks for the info, but I would like to hear from someone that has ran an accel coil. My stock coil is going bad, so I wanted to collect some info before I make any purchases. I have only heard good & bad things about the accel coil from people who haven't used the product.

I run it.no problems

What are your plans for the motor? Ie what pistons, heads, springs, cam, etc...etc...

I run it.no problems

Back