Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip

Thanks for those thoughts Devan. I've been on my new route for about 15 months now, and I learned last year that the PO had bought about 22,000 Explorer chassis RHD trucks. We have one of those now and a route in Pigeon Forge. Those all have the SOHC 4.0, so I'm wondering if I can locate one of those being sold, when the engine blows as they usually do. If I can find a RHD import Explorer from the UK etc, I'd love to get the dash and firewall section, AC boxes etc. With that I could build a slick mail truck, 302/AWD and AC, radio etc. Maybe this Summer I can be hunting for those things.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahh that would be the best mail truck in the country lol. But every engine will break down eventually lol. My supercharged 4.0 has 295,000 on it, still the original motor in my truck, the 4.0 sohcs really arent such a bad motor. Ill bet my 01 2 door sport has more power then a narurally aspirated 302. You should go with a 347 stroker kit

With an actual high flowing exhaust, the 302's can produce 300rwhp easily. The space around the front diff, is a big blockage for the left collector. But I think it's possible to push 250hp+ with little trouble, and that's plenty for a heavy truck with regular gas. We'll see how I manage with a welder and making some exhaust parts, hopefully late this Spring.

you know wat, I remember seeing a writeup where the guy made his exhaust collectors run to the outside of the frame rather then the inside. I think it may have been a ranger

Have you located a USPS right hand drive explorer chassis?
What is the status of your 99 Explorer?
Are you still driving it?
Thank you (I know I'm reviving an old thread from 2018).

I'm getting very near to retiring, so hunting a RHD Explorer isn't a real goal anymore. My 99 still needs the 5R55E rebuilt, I've been juggling my dad's estate, his old house also, and falling behind taking care of my many cars. I'm going to keep my 99 for a while unless someone at work might value it enough to buy it. But a V8 swap might still happen, I found a source for a feasible 347 kit that would be hard to pass up compared to building a 306(about $500 extra).

Back