Recommendations of a chip for 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations of a chip for 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 V6

ornithology

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 X Sport2dr 4.0 V6 XLT
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0 V6, I want a chip that can hold at least two tunes, one for max mpg and one for performance (87 octane). I have several questions regarding these chips.

Firstly, how do I program these chips? Through a laptop or through a proprietary module? Must I bring it to a shop to get these chips "tuned" or can I find presets and calibrations on forums such as this or on the 'intraweb' :p

Secondly, are these tunes changeable on the fly? Meaning, if I wanted to change my mpg tune (which will most likely be my default as my explorer is my daily and only truck) to a performance tune, will I require any additional equipment?

Thirdly, who is a reputable seller than I can purchase these chips from and receive unlimited technically support from?

I apologize in advance if this has been posted before, but I've been very curious about the chip tuning but cannot sort out all the information on this site in a way for me to understand. I've been really inspired by Aldives's "Quest for 30" and I'm trying to get at least 20mpg in the city with my sport, any testimonies are greatly appreciated (i read the poll's, great info there) as I would like to know what chips are best for mpg. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't recommend a chip at all.

I would go with a programmer such as SCT's XCal2/3. With this device you can change computer tunes as often as you want.

You get the tunes from an SCT dealer or you can write your own with SCT's Racer Pro Package and Advantage III software.

Take a look at http://www.sctflash.com/

Oh okay, so if I just buy the SCT Xcal2/3, I can have as many tunes as i want because I do it all by myself? Is their a 'bank' of some sort where I can get tunes from and then input into my car? How exactly do these programmers work?

Oh okay, so if I just buy the SCT Xcal2/3, I can have as many tunes as i want because I do it all by myself?

If youeither (1) purchase the tunes from an SCT dealer or (2) purchace the Advantage III software ( this way you can write as many tunes as you want ).

Is their a 'bank' of some sort where I can get tunes from and then input into my car?

No, the tunes are written for your application.

How exactly do these programmers work?

Basially you download the tune from your computer to the tuner device and from it you upload into your vehicle.

Alright I see...

Are there any risks to buying a new one off eBay? Since I will still need to purchase these 'tunes' from dealers or writers (I'm guessing SCT or Hendersen right?) Thanks again Aldive, reason I'm looking at this was from your recommendation for upgrades on fuel mileage! Couldn't find any electric fans or underdrive pullies so I'm on to the tunes.

Are there any risks to buying a new one off eBay? Since I will still need to purchase these 'tunes' from dealers or writers (I'm guessing SCT or Hendersen right?)

I would purchase the tuner device and tunes from an SCT dealer.

What is "Henderson"?

Thanks again Aldive, reason I'm looking at this was from your recommendation for upgrades on fuel mileage! Couldn't find any electric fans or underdrive pullies so I'm on to the tunes.

What truck do you have?

Haha sorry I mean Henson Performance.

I own a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4.0L V6

I'm looking at a brand new one for only $225! Wondering if I should grab this and just pick some tunes off the dealers. It's a SCT Xcal3, never been installed to a car so I'm no need to reset to stock. Any input on this?

You will probably get better dealer service if you purchase the tuner as well as the tunes from them.

You can get underdrive pulleys for your motor and I am sure you can find an e fan as well.

Good luck .......

I wouldn't recommend a chip at all.

I would go with a programmer such as SCT's XCal2/3. With this device you can change computer tunes as often as you want.

You get the tunes from an SCT dealer or you can write your own with SCT's Racer Pro Package and Advantage III software.

Take a look at http://www.sctflash.com/

Agree wholeheartedly. :thumbsup:

www.bamachips.com

he sell the the tuner and the files that you need

instead of going to two places

www.bamachips.com

he sell the the tuner and the files that you need

instead of going to two places

SCT Flash is the manufacturer. It's a good place to find out more about the products. Bama is a seller and programmer of those products. Henson is another seller of those products. SCT doesn't sell direct. You've got to go through their dealer network. SCT's site does have forums and lots of other good tech support than Doug and James' sites don't have.

With all due respect, Doug (Bama) is a dude and his work is awesome. I've had nothing but good experiences with him, but he's pretty much vanished from the site and is very hard to get in touch with. Not so with James.

I still have all my Bama tunes, but my XC2 has all Henson tunes in it at present. I like both their handiwork, but James' support is much better these days. Doug used to jump thorugh hoops to please, but sadly that's no longer the case. I know there's not a lot of $$$ in custom tuning and the like. I think Doug's moved on. I know this was a hobby of his, not his "day job".

Not to diss Doug. I really have a lot of respect for him, but I've moved on to Henson because I saw a lot of people complain about Bama's service these days. The mere fact that Doug's #1 fan by far (Aldive) promotes Henson these days speaks volumes.

With all due respect, Doug (Bama) is a dude and his work is awesome. I've had nothing but good experiences with him, but he's pretty much vanished from the site and is very hard to get in touch with.

Doug answers my e mails and phone calls with no problems. Its true that he does not participate in these forums anymore.

I think Doug's moved on. I know this was a hobby of his, not his "day job".

Doug long ago left his "real job" and does tuning full time. He even owns a portable dyno. He specializes in other Ford vehicles because the market is much better.

The mere fact that Doug's #1 fan by far (Aldive) promotes Henson these days speaks volumes.

I do? Not. I have never used a tune or purchased anything from Henson. I honestly know nothing about his tuning. However, I have meet James and he is a very nice young man and from the feedback I read on this board, he takes excellent care of his customers.

I do not promote anyone in the tuning world; I write my own tunes using SCT's software.

Al, Doug replies to me when I email him. That wasn't my point. I just haven't emailed him for a long time because I use Henson now. I think it's very clear that Doug's service levels are nowhere near how they were years ago. It's not just on the forums. People complain that he simply doesn't respond to them off the forums either. If he doesn't deal with Explorers anymore, why his he associated with EE? (they have poor service in their own right, I have had many emails go unanswered from them including one a few months ago).

I've sadly found lots of posts out there of those complaining of Bama's service gone downhill and that saddened me because he used to provide top notch service. A customer is a customer whether they're brand new or an old friend. And as as promotion goes, I've seen many cases where you've let people know about James' work in much the same way you used to with Doug. If you still believed in Bama like you used to, one would think you'd be trumpeting Bama's service like you used to.

Thanks for the clarification on Doug's current situation. I stand corrected.

Doug answers my e mails and phone calls with no problems. Its true that he does not participate in these forums anymore.

Doug long ago left his "real job" and does tuning full time. He even owns a portable dyno. He specializes in other Ford vehicles because the market is much better.

I do? Not. I have never used a tune or purchased anything from Henson. I honestly know nothing about his tuning. However, I have meet James and he is a very nice young man and from the feedback I read on this board, he takes excellent care of his customers.

I do not promote anyone in the tuning world; I write my own tunes using SCT's software.

i can tell you james at henson performance is the way to go :thumbsup: great customer service and you can always contact him for new tunes...not even to mention how easy it was to load the tune...

All tunes for SCT devices load exactly the same way no matter who wrote them.

true should have been worded THE tune. i am referring to the plug n play vs having to install a chip

Alright, well anyone know how the real diff between an Xcal2 and Xcal3? I'm thinking about getting a used one, if I send it in to James, would he be able to unlock it for me and get me some tunes? How much would that cost? Thanks!

Alright, well anyone know how the real diff between an Xcal2 and Xcal3? I'm thinking about getting a used one, if I send it in to James, would he be able to unlock it for me and get me some tunes? How much would that cost? Thanks!

i believe you have to buy the unit "unlocked". thats the thing with these, if you buy them from someone and they are vin locked,(somone is using the tune) you just bought yourself a 300 dollar paperweight.... be careful..and no, he sends you tune files via email and you plug it up and upload on the device

he sends you tune files via email and you plug it up and upload on the device

Therein lies the single biggest advantage (to me) of a flasher. Last summer while on vacation, I purchased a tune from James. He emailed it to me an hour later and I uploaded it right away. I didn't care for one of the parameters so he emailed me a revised tune 15 minutes later and I was testing it minutes later.

You can't do that with a chip!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Therein lies the single biggest advantage (to me) of a flasher. Last summer while on vacation, I purchased a tune from James. He emailed it to me an hour later and I uploaded it right away. I didn't care for one of the parameters so he emailed me a revised tune 15 minutes later and I was testing it minutes later.

You can't do that with a chip!

exactly!, and with the device you can read/clear check engine codes. you can also moniter live at least 50 sensors on the truck like -inlet air temp,coolant temp, vehicle speed, battery voltage, throttle position sensor voltage, load voltage, mass air voltage and rpms---just to name a few

i had an updated pcm from ford and he actually sat in his wife's explorer with me on the phone and walked me through my problem step by step! you cant beat that customer service, and i will always recommend James!

Back