Recommendations while swapping engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations while swapping engine

StryctNy9e

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton OR/ hayward CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT Exploder
I am going to do a engine swap and Im making a list of what I should replace while the engine is out. I plan on repacing the oil pump, cleaning the engine bay and repainting(nothing special just rattle can). Was thinking wether or not I should replace the flexplate. I will also relpace the motor mounts. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to take care of as much as possible while the engine is out. Recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know to change all the fluids after the little swim.

I forget, you have an automatic? If so, I'd pull the pan, change filter, look at the fluid and if it has much water, I suppose I would flush out the trans fluid. If you had thoughts of upgrading the torque converter, now is the time.

Manual? Same comment, except to change the clutch/thow-out and slave cylinder/gizmo.

I would tear down the hubs too... This is just going to be one of those slow methodical processes to go through everything that was underwater. Hopefully you brought back some money from Vegas.

Hoses, battery cables, check all the wiring to make sure there is no cracked insulation or corrosion. Check condition of motor mounts, might as well replace now if they haven't ever been replaced.

Replace rear main seal, check front crank seal, check freeze plugs, check vacuum booster, and power steering system. Looks like you have alot of work ahead of you, good luck

Depending on the age of the motor, you may want to change the oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, thermostat, plugs, wires, hoses, seprentine belt.

Motor mounts usually dont need replacing.

thanks for all the advise guys. I already changed fluids in the tranny and there wasnt a hint of water in the fluid, guess I got lucky. I Have new plugs and wires that are off my old engine less than 1000 miles on them. I am going to swap a new oil pump so that means new gasket. I am going to do motor mounts. I didnt think of the electrical or the hoses and definetly didnt think of the freeze plugs, So I will end up repacing all of those things also.

Oh yea the only thing I won In vegas was free drinks, but I guess they were not free oh well had a good time anyways. Thanks guys.

What's the mileage on the motor? If it's 150,000-200,000 or getting there, I'd say it's overdue for the rocker/pushrod clatter, and having the engine out is a GREAT time to pull off the valve covers and get in there to replace the rocker assemblies and pushrods, not to mention the valve stem seals. They aren't cheap, rocker assemblies are ~$80 each from our forum vendor Tousley Ford (you'll need two), plus a few bucks for each pushrod (you'll need 12). It's worth it if it saves your lifters though. Those are expensive beyond belief. You'll wind up replacing the upper/lower intake gaskets doing this as well, which is also a good thing to do.

If you have the money, you could replace the heads (~$200/ea complete, $150/ea bare) with the stronger/better flowing aftermarket versions, and of course the head gaskets in the process.

You might also consider a timing chain/gear/tensioner/guide replacement. The aftermarket kits are not expensive at all, and it'd be a snap to do with the engine out. They do seem to last 300,000 miles and beyond, but it's just something I'd consider replacing at super high mileage.

The freeze plug suggestion is good too, you could flush out the block and have a really clean cooling system. Stuck-in original factory freeze plugs are pretty strong, though.

Either way definitely paint the block, either just sand/brush and recoat it factory grey, or whatever suits your taste. Just be sure to do a very light coat or two, thick paint on the outside of an engine doesn't help it.

I would also suggest cleaning up the frame and painting it and any other rusty parts in there. They may not stay pretty, but cleaning the dark corners where rust builds up and eats away at the body will make it last a lot longer.

thanks for all the imput. The motor has 75,000 miles on it. I went to the scrap yard and heard it run yesterday. Unbelivable, the motor runs better than the one that was in my truck when I first bought it. I am happy with the deal I got and have all the basic stuff I need. I exhausted my pocket book funds for now so I will just change the basics. The can is also my daily driver and dont have the time to do all the things I would like to while it is out. Oh well im just glad I can drive my truck soon and not have to worry about throwing a rod every time and I can put my foot back into it if needed. No more oh **** its past 3500 RPM is she gonna blow!!!

75,000 miles seems a bit suspect for an OHV, even if it came out of a '98 or something. Did you look at the odometer from the donor vehicle?

If it's really that low of mileage, then I would probably just leave most of the internal mechanical things alone. Spend the money on the needed stuff like hoses, belts (maybe buy a new one just so you know it's new and keep the old one as a spare), possibly the thermostat (easier while it's out), and just use good coolant/oil.

You could probably just use the motor mounts that came with it, too.

With the original engine out and the donor engine in, you could possibly look into building up the original motor over the next few years, buying stuff as you get deals and find them at the salvage yard or on the forum. Then when the donor hits 150,000-200K, you can swap again. Or you could just keep the old motor for spares or at least keep the good stuff that's on it.

Yeah I came up on a hell of a deal. The odometer on the truck said 76k and change. He also had paperwork and said it was one of those donate your car /tax writeoff deals or some crap all I know is that it all checked out. I am keeping everything that works off my old block. I decided I am going to replace the oil pump, all gaskets needed, motor mounts, clean engine bay and paint, clean new block and paint, paint valve covers possibly. The engine that im getting has all the accesories so I will have spares. I will post some pics on my registery tommarow or the next day.

Back