How to: - Swapping rear axle in 2nd Gen Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Swapping rear axle in 2nd Gen Explorer

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
Installing a replacement 8.8 axle in a 2nd Gen Explorer​

I recently upgraded the axles in my Explorer from 3.73s to 4.10s. I had several upgrades I wanted to do (still do) but this was the most cost effective. The 4.10s will make the truck better off-road, it will pull the camper better, and it may even get better gas mileage as it won’t have to work as hard to turn the 1.5” larger MT tires. I took a few pics along the way, and the rest I’ll just describe as best I can.

1) Jack up the truck and PLACE JACKSTANDS under the frame, right in front of the front leaf spring mounts. NEVER get under a vehicle while it is supported by just a jack. Particularly as you’re going to be sitting under this truck while it has NO springs, NO axle, nothing to even slow it down till it hits YOU. I went to Harbor Freight and picked up these 6-ton jack stands for under 50 bucks. The little 3-ton stands I’ve been using just aren’t tall enough.

EDIT: I've since replaced the Harbor Freight stands (Recall) with a good set of NAPA jack stands. With my Employee discount they cost about the same as the Harbor Freights

0405181121.jpg

2) Remove the wheels (Yea, I know, it’s obvious but hey, not everyone is as smart as you and I. (Don’t need a pic for that do you?) Now is a good time to remove the spare as well. It frees up all kinds of room.

3) Now we get to the small, dirty parts. The best way to remember how to go about doing this is to start at the front and work your way back. So…

a. Unhook the driveshaft. There are 4 bolts holding it on, they are 12mm 12pt. Now if you are replacing the axle with the same axle mark the driveshaft with paint so you can re-attach it in the same position you removed it from. Once the bolts are removed it should just slide forward and off of the axle. If it’s never been pulled before, it may need a little convincing with a screwdriver or prybar, but not much. Once it’s free of the axle, just let it rest on the floor. Don’t pull it from the transmission as you’ll have a nice puddle of fluid on your floor by the time you’re done. Oh yea, replace the bolts where they came from so you’ll know where they are later.

b. Unplug the speedo/anti-lock brake sensor. Its right above where the driveshaft was mounted. It’s an electric plug with “grips” on both sides. Move the grips apart gently and pull the plug. Hang the wire up out of the way.

Edit: Forgotten Step. Unfasten the "5th shock". It runs from the pumpkin up to the frame to the right (passenger side). Just remove the bolt connecting it to the pumpkin. The nut is welded to the bracket so only one wrench is needed. As usual once the shock is unhooked, replace the bolt to keep track of its location.

c. Now we get to do the brakes. I lost sleep over this for no reason; it is much easier than I thought it would be. Climb under the truck behind the axle. Running Along the top of the axle you’ll see a hard brake line clipped to each side of the pumpkin and at the top of the pumpkin. Using a screwdriver open up the clips just enough to get the hard lines out. The clip on top of the pumpkin is attached with a 13mm bolt. Just remove the bolt, free the clip, and replace the bolt. At the back of the axle, above each leaf spring, is a clip holding the junction where the line goes from a hardline to a rubber line. The clip is bolted in, remove the bolt freeing up the clip then replace the bolt. Repeat for the other side. This should free up all the brake lines so let’s get started on the calipers. There are two 10mm bolts holding each caliper on, you have to look behind the caliper to see them. Loosen each of them (they should be very snug) and pull the long bolts out. Carefully grasp the caliper and pull it away from the rotor. If you do it right everything will stay in place and make it easier to put back later on. Have a wire handy and hang the caliper from the wire attached to the frame, up out of the way. Never leave the caliper hanging by the brake line. Once you have hung both calipers up out of the way, the brake line should follow and hang up out of the way as well. But it never hurts to make sure it’s up and clear of things that could cause damage. Now comes the cursing part. If you look at the back of the backing plate you’ll see a cable with a spring on it. This is for your parking brakes. You’ll need to take the oval shaped part off of the hook, and then slide the cable forward out of the round opening. The cable is held in that round opening by clips that have to be compressed to fit into the opening. Be prepared to curse. It helps if you remove the rotors, and loosen the adjuster wheel for the parking brake shoes.
0405181538.jpg

d. If you have a 5.0, now is the time to loosen the Torque rods. (If you have a V6 move on to the next step) These are sturdy looking steel rods that run from the top of each end of your axle, to the frame. They are there to prevent spring windup. They are easy to remove, just get a big socket on the bolt (the nuts have an arm on them to keep them from turning) and loosen it. I used an impact wrench. Once the bolt is out, lift the bar up out of the way, no need to detach it from the frame (UNLESS you are replacing your axle with one from a V6 which didn’t come with the Torque rods and will not have the brackets for them)
0405181409.jpg

e. Ok, next on our journey toward the rear of the truck is the Shock Absorbers. Get a floor jack, and place it under the pumpkin. The springs will want to come down a little further once the shocks are detached, and we don’t want any sudden jolts. Besides the weight of the axle can put a bind on the bolts and make them hard to pull out. Loosen the nuts from the bolts and see if they want to come out. If not raise or lower the jack holding the pumpkin until the feel free and can be pulled out. Once the bolts are out, slowly lower the jack until the springs are supporting the axle. We don’t have to remove the shocks, just take the bolts out that attach them to the axle, and let them hang. Of course if you are taking advantage of this opportunity to replace a set of worn out shocks, then yank those dudes out. I can’t tell you what size the bolts are as they vary from brand to brand probably. Mine were 18mm.
0405181505.jpg

f. Moving right along we come to the sway bar. There are options here. You can remove them from the axles by loosening the four bolts that hold the two brackets to the axle. Or you can loosen the nuts that hold the sway bar to the links that hang from the frame. I’ll let you study it and decide which you think is easiest. I removed the sway bar from the links and took the sway bar out with the axle.

g. Now very carefully study the rear axle, looking for anything that may have been forgotten that would continue to hold it in when you try to take it out. Look for wires, brake lines... anything. I think I’m keeping up but I’m not infallible.

4) Now that all the small attachment points are dealt with, it’s time for the big stuff.

a. There are two U-Bolts on each side holding the axle to the leaf spring (I’m sure you’ve noticed them). Underneath are 18mm(?) nuts. Use an impact if you’ve got one and loosen them, 4 per side. When they are loose, lift off the U-Bolts and put the nuts back on the U-Bolts finger tight to make them easier to find. You’ll see all kinds of nastiness that had been lurking between the springs and the plate the U-Bolts went through. Take advantage of the chance to clean that up.

b. If you have a small square furniture dolly… get it. Place it under the pumpkin. Now if you have two floor jacks you’re in luck. Place one under each axle leaving room for the furniture dolly in between. (I have heard of people using creepers for this). Raise the jacks so they are just barely supporting the axles.

c. Move back to the Shackles, and carefully remove the lower bolts holding the springs in. If they are stubborn don’t force them. There may be tension on them from the springs causing them to be tight. Raise or lower the jack on the side you are working on by tiny degrees, until the bolt feels free indicating that the jack is supporting the axle, not the bolt. Once both sides are done, lower the jacks slowly till the axle resting on the Furniture dolly, with the pumpkin in the hole in the middle. Once the axle is stable on the dolly, it’s now safe to remove the Floor jacks.

d. The axle should be free from the truck at this point. Using the furniture dolly roll it out from under the truck and clear the area for the new axle. I had two furniture dollies so it was easy for me to roll the new axle into place and reverse the procedure I used to remove the old one.

0405181121a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your writeup I am bookmarking this for when I start working on my project of stripping down my 98 ex and moving parts to my 98 mounty

did a axle swap in my kids 01 sport last summer. did it pretty much note for note the way you have it. same on the brakes. racked my brain trying to figure out how to do it without opening the system when i finally figured out to do it the same way you did it. nice write up.

Very informative. It’d be nice to know which axles swap directly into the second gen. For example first gen sport trac axles or axles from the later ranger years. I wouldn’t mind having a newer axle whenever I go 3.73.

I'd love to be able to tell you what axles fit what. But I don't know. I am pretty much a bolt in kind of guy, so I replaced my 2nd gen axle with a different 2nd gen axle, bolted right in of course. Unless you are looking for a beefy axle to handle the increased horsepower of an engine swap, I don't think you'll need anything stronger than the 8.8 the 2nd gens come with. And, I think most (all?) 2nd gens came with rear disc brakes as well. As far as gear ratios go, 2nd gens came with a wide variety of choices. Find a 2nd gen in a salvage yard that has the ratio you want and you're good to go. For what its worth when I was searching for a 4.10 axle I found tons of 3.73's.

Bolt on is the best way to go. I wouldn’t mind a 2009 ranger axle if I knew it’d bolt on since it would be low mileage compared to most second gens. But I doubt it’s that simple. The specs on this page shows some differences: The Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch Axle Swap

Looks like the explorer axle is superior.

I understand the desire for lower miles. I got lucky and found a front diff with less than 90,000 miles on it, and a rear axle with half the miles that my Explorer has on it.

If you can confirm the width of the rear, the Ranger axles can work. I don't know which axles either, what matters is the overall width, leaf springs, 302 for the extra strut mount of 96-01 rears, ABS version, and brake type. You have to use a 98+ rear for a 2000 for example, the rear ABS sensor is in the center of the housing, unlike 91-97's.

I was hunting the 2010/2011 Ranger brakes for my 99 truck. I haven't found a truck locally yet to get the backing plates and calipers. It looks like there aren't many aftermarket rotor choices either, I was hoping for the better EBC kits that are out for older trucks.

Well I got 3 years out of that Axle assembly. On the way to Moab just north of Phoenix it bit the big one. I was going to take it to a shop and have it rebuilt and a locker I bought from Gman installed but the cost was approaching 1800. So I nixed that plan and am going to install a rebuilt rear axle assembly for about half that. I may even get that locker installed myself.

Well I got 3 years out of that Axle assembly. On the way to Moab just north of Phoenix it bit the big one. I was going to take it to a shop and have it rebuilt and a locker I bought from Gman installed but the cost was approaching 1800. So I nixed that plan and am going to install a rebuilt rear axle assembly for about half that. I may even get that locker installed

I'd love to be able to tell you what axles fit what. But I don't know. I am pretty much a bolt in kind of guy, so I replaced my 2nd gen axle with a different 2nd gen axle, bolted right in of course. Unless you are looking for a beefy axle to handle the increased horsepower of an engine swap, I don't think you'll need anything stronger than the 8.8 the 2nd gens come with. And, I think most (all?) 2nd gens came with rear disc brakes as well. As far as gear ratios go, 2nd gens came with a wide variety of choices. Find a 2nd gen in a salvage yard that has the ratio you want and you're good to go. For what its worth when I was searching for a 4.10 axle I found tons of 3.73's.
I got a 1998 EX AWD. I am not sure of the gear ratio, but I have blown 1999 Ranger XLT 4x4 manual hubs. Will this work, if I switched the front end? Will I need to switch the rear diff also?

It will fit in the sense that it is the right size. The only problem you'll run into is that the axle from the Ranger is set up to have the spring sitting on top of the axle, and the Explorers are set up for the springs running under the axle. So the mounting pad is not in the right place. You can cut off the mounting pad and weld one on the correct side and you'll be good.

I wonder if anyone has ever run it springs on top with the Ranger axle to Jack up the back end a few inches…?

I wonder if anyone has ever run it springs on top with the Ranger axle to Jack up the back end a few inches…?
I am thinking about it. From what I have gathered, yes they match right up.

FYI Ranger 8.8 axles are slightly smaller and weaker and 1” narrower in width. They’re 28 spline vs Explorer 31 spline, and axle diameter is a bit less. Still plenty stout though.
Ranger FX4 has the same 31 spline as Explorers.

FYI Ranger 8.8 axles are slightly smaller and weaker and 1” narrower in width. They’re 28 spline vs Explorer 31 spline, and axle diameter is a bit less. Still plenty stout though.
Ranger FX4 has the same 31 spline as Explorers.
Good to know! Thanks

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the ranger diff cover is 1/4 " deeper. Some aftermarket 8.8 covers will not reach gasket surface before hitting the ring gear.

Interesting.

I recently replaced my rusted OEM diff cover with a Dorman, and it took nearly an extra quart of oil. I thought I was taking crazy pills, but maybe there are different sizes…

Back