swapping engines... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

swapping engines...

Good to know, thank you. can i just unbolt my exhaust at the end of the y-pipe where it goes to the cat and have enough clearance from the frame?

I dont think you will have enough room, youll need to unbolt the pipes from the manifold, i tried to short cut mine when i did the the clutch what a pia better off just takin the extra time & pullin the exhaust saves alot of head aches.;)
~Drew~

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have no problem doing clutch/tranny, its been out enough times i have the angles figured out, and the exhaust has never been pulled. im too busy today and the next couple days to touch it, but the engine is about ready to be removed.

you will fight to get the trans up over the Y pipe and stabbed as you know, I have done it this way a few times myself, now I just drop the Y pipe first, it actually saves time.

I'm simply going to cut my y-pipe to get the motor out, as bolts are stripped off off it. i'm replacing my clogged cats with the cats from my donor rig, and ill use the y-pipe from the donor as well, as its already off the motor and the blown tranny already out. the old motor from my truck wont go back in to anything until it has headers, so no worries there. i wish i had time to work on it.

just torch the bolts :) the Y pipe will survive

Back