Redid the cooling system... Cooling weirdness... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Redid the cooling system... Cooling weirdness...

DP96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
New Berlin, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4WD
Sorry, posted in the wrong forum...

is the thermostat installed with the spring towards the engine?

It is pretty common to get air trapped behind the thermostat on these engines and I do mean TRAPPED
So the fix?
Pour some boiling hot water (over 215 degrees) down the upper radiator hose it will force the thermostat to open

The thermostat is installed properly, with the "top" of the thermostat facing the bolt-on outlet elbow, and the spring towards the engine.

The thermostat I used has a bleeder poppet "valve" at the top of it... Installed with it at the top (ie, inside the factory cutout).

Honestly, I cannot understand why they never drilled and tapped for an air bleeder at the top of the housing next to the temperature sender???

Sure it would be a pain to get at a bit, but for the hassles involved in bleeding I can't imagine why they would do that.

As it stands I can hear the little poppet valve actuating when the engine is off and I am squeezing the upper radiator radiator hose, so I doubt there is air there... Plus for the mess and everything else involved in draining down the coolant I would be more likely to drain it far enough to pull the thermostat, then drill and tap for the bleeder valve, then put it all back together...

Here is one thought, and why I think that is almost not even needed, is that the coolant bypass for the heater core is at the top of that housing. Doesn't that mean that when the engine is off air will rise to the heater valve and hoses? That is the highest point in this system. Wouldn't putting a flush tee fitting in either one (or even both since they are cheap enough) of those hoses a good way to bleed out any air pockets? Shouldn't air rise to those high points (especially considering one of those hoses connects to the thermostat housing on the closed side)?

Back