• Register Today It's free!

Regearing Questions...

Concept156

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
I've been thinking about lifting my X and going with a set of 33x12.5x15's. And, while I am at it, it would be nice to go ahead and regear and maybe drop in a locker (at least in the rear). But, money is kind of an issue...

Anyways, the questions are:

Would it be possible to regear and lock the rear end now, and postpone regearing the front end until I can afford it?

Could I still use four wheel drive running two different ratios in the front and rear? If so, would this damage or put a lot of strain on the drivetrain (more so, than just running 33's?)?

Finally, my X came with a stock 3.73 L/S in the rear end, is it safe to assume that there is an open 3.73 gearing in the front end?

Thanks for your time...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Concept156
1)Would it be possible to regear and lock the rear end now, and postpone regearing the front end until I can afford it?

2)Could I still use four wheel drive running two different ratios in the front and rear? If so, would this damage or put a lot of strain on the drivetrain (more so, than just running 33's?)?

3)Finally, my X came with a stock 3.73 L/S in the rear end, is it safe to assume that there is an open 3.73 gearing in the front end?

1) Yes
2)NO
3)Yes

I second that
1. yes
2. no
3 yes

My suggestion would be either go ahead and put 33's on with the current gearing. You won't have eye popping acceleration, but it will be acceptable for driving and moderate wheeling. Regear with 4.56 later.

OR...

Regear with 4.10's and drive it with stock tires untill you can afford 33's

The guy who owned my truck before me ran 33's with the factory 3.73's and a L/S. The truck did fairly well. But if you are going to really get serious down the road, save your money and do suggestion one. Having 4.56 gears will give you a noticable difference and set you up to be able to run 35's later on, because you will always wish that you were one tire size larger then you have.

Originally posted by Ranger Digger
My suggestion would be either go ahead and put 33's on with the current gearing. You won't have eye popping acceleration, but it will be acceptable for driving and moderate wheeling. Regear with 4.56 later.

OR...

Regear with 4.10's and drive it with stock tires untill you can afford 33's

The guy who owned my truck before me ran 33's with the factory 3.73's and a L/S. The truck did fairly well. But if you are going to really get serious down the road, save your money and do suggestion one. Having 4.56 gears will give you a noticable difference and set you up to be able to run 35's later on, because you will always wish that you were one tire size larger then you have.

and I second that! ;) I have 32's with the 3.73 ls...i will be regearing in a month or two with 4.56.

Now... hopefully the RCD Ranger kit will come out in the near future...

I'm running just fine with 33's and 3,73ls

but I do also have a manual tranny:p

I just regeared to 4.56 to go with my 33s since I couldn't stand the lack of performance with 4.10s. The deciding factor for me was getting beat off the line by a lifted 4x4 Ford F250 Supercab diesel pulling a 15' trailer loaded down with landscaping equipment. With my 32s, my 4.10s were fine but either the much heavier tires or just an extra inch in diameter made a lot more of a difference in acceleration than it did when I put my 32s on in place of my factory 30" tires. That didn't have nearly the impact on acceleration as my 33s did.

Do you know where I can get 4.56's for the front ifs d35? I have been looking around (a lot...) and I have found a lot of places that have 4.10's for the ifs d35. I've also found some 4.56's but I'm not sure if they are for the CV style d35 or the ttb... Are the gears for the two interchangeable?

The gears for the two are not interchangeable. This can be tricky because Ford calls them both the Dana 35 IFS. The difference is the 91-94 is reverse cut and the 95+ is standard cut.

I bought my gears from Randy's and got a good price, and lifetime guarantee on em, (like they'll break, heh) but I told em what I wanted, what car/year I had and they hooked me up, immediatly.

http://www.ringpinion.com/home.shtml

I have manual trans, 33s, and 3.55's. Oh and I have 3.27s in the front. Its been that way since nov. 2002. I have hardly wheeled due to this situation, but I'm regearing next week to 4.56 with a detroit in the rear. I have wheeled with different gear ratios, but only when I really needed to. This was when my friend was really stuck and his dad was gonna kick his ass if we didn't get it out...so 12 hours later...:)

Do a little price shopping before buying gears. I went to West coast Differentials because Randy's quit selling ARB's. West coast saved me almost $100 over Randy's bottom line for gears and a locker for my D44. Plus it got to Nebraska in two days! :eek:

Has anybody heard anything about the Electrac Locker?

http://reiderracing.com/electrac.htm

Reider offers a package deal on an Electrac for the rear, front and rear gears, and front and rear installation kits. It seems like a pretty good deal. I haven't called to see what the price would be for an Explorer yet...

Back