Regearing Questions

Josh C.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Live in: Santa Ana, CA - - - From: Oshawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mounty v8 AWD
I'm getting ready to start ordering parts to regear the front and back. After about 7 hrs of researching what I need and where to find the best prices I think I've figured just about everything out.

My first question is if I am taking the parts to the mechanic to install all I need is the R&P set and a master overhaul kits for each diff right? Am I missing anything?

2nd question, Ive narrowed it down to Yukon or USA Standard Gear. Getting USA Standard Gear will save me about $300, which for me is big chunk of change. With the R&P, I've read on a few places USA Stand is near exactly the same as Yukon (made in the same factory just didn't pass the same QC as the Yukon label) but it has the chance to be slightly louder. The only difference I can tell between the Overhaul kits is that Yukon uses Timkin bearings and USA Stand uses Koyo. Any input whether my $300 would be more well spent in the Yukon brand?

Also, if anyone one knows any reputable gear installers in the Orange County are please let me know. I plan on calling Unitrax on Monday?

Thanks

Spend your 300 bucks on tools and do it yourself

Back