• Register Today It's free!

Regular or Premium???

Xplor

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB V8
Okay people. Ever since I've bought my '92 since it was born. I've filled it up mostly premium gas and on certain occasions "mid grade" Never in the whole life of it put regular. Now, I've purchased a '00 with the 302 and read the manual, it states the premium is not recommended. As for that, I bought regular for the first time for my new '00. My question is is I went ahead using premium, will this cause the engine to run hotter, shorten the engine life, or other possible interfernce??? Back to my '92 I sold it when it had 120,000 miles on it. I was experiencing knocking-pinging noise at highway speeds and hard accelerations. I've did try using all brand name of premiums out there, still no luck with the knocking. I always do the routine maintaince by the book and use Mobil 1. The only mods i had was the K&N filter, JET chip, and the borla cat-back. As for my future plans for my new '00 wil be running mobil 1, K&N filter, and possiblity a cat-back. Please share your experience and comments for the gasoline on the explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I do know that explorers are designed to run on regular (about 85-87 octane). If the engine is modified than it could use the extra octane. Unfortunately, I have no idea what modifications would require extra octane, but that is what this website is all about, I'm sure somebody knows and can answer your question better than I did.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

What does higher octane gas do for you? well this is how it was explaned to me. Higher 92 octane gas has a higher ignition temperature than regular 87 octane. Higher octane gas is for use in High performance vehicles that have higher compression ratios, which causes higher temperatures in the cylinders, which if you were to use 87 octane gas would preignite(predetonation, i.e. pinging) the mixture. The 92 octane gas doesn't preignite because of the lower ignition temp. Now does this do your vehicle any good to run 92 octane, when it is made to use 87. Not really, if it is stock, and even slightly modified, it won't really help. What does using 92 octane do for you? It empties your pocket book faster. Now many of you will say that "I run 92 because my vehicle pings if I don't use it, and it is stock." Well then, what you are doing is fixing the symptom, not the cure. Something else is going wrong with you vehicle. Get it fixed! The folks at Ford made our Explorers to run on 87 octane. They spent big bucks to make it that way.

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

Ray,
Much has been said about the elusive pinging issue. I agree, if a mechanical solution can be had, get it done. Many suggestions are posted. If for some reason this does not eliminate the problem, run whatever gas necessary to avoid pinging.
As I understand it, the "pinging" sound is actually the valve being slammed into the valve seat by the force of the pre-ignition. This can cause damage to the valve and seat. Also,if the fuel/air mixture begins to ignite before the valve is fully closed (pre-ignition), loss of combustion compression and performance results.

Pinging under load is usually detonation, or the sound of the shock wave wave from the gas burning too fast. Usually it occurs under abnormally high cylinder pressures caused by a high compression ratio. The compression ratio can increase over time if carbon builds up in the combustion chamber.

Octane is a measurement of how "fast" the gasoline burns, the higher the octane, the slower the burn. Lead used to be used to increase the octane rating (along with lubricating the valve seats). So a higher octane gas will reduce detonation.

Advancing the ignition timing will also cause detonantion, by causing the burning to start early and reach its "peak" too close to TDC of the piston, when the pressure is highest. Most cars have knock sensors that will retard the timing when detonantion is sensed.

The best way to correct detonation (assuming the electronics of the engine management system is OK) is to get rid of the carbon. The best way of doing that is with the liquid cleaners (not spray) that you let the engine suck in while it is idling. The best is available only from GM, called "GM Top Engine Cleaner" and others from, I think, Pennsoil or Castrol. The basic procedure is to find a vacuum line that goes in as close to the throttle body as possible, and stick the opposite end of the line in the can while the car idles (you may have to increase the idle speed due to the diconnected vac line to keep it from stalling). You will fog out about a city block worth of area with smoke, so you may want to do it when there aren't too many neighbors around. The stuff is pretty hard to find (probably because of the smoke issue scaring the manufacturers and retailers), but I know most Jiffy Lube places will do it (don't let them just run the injector cleaner).
You will notice smoother idle and the knock will be gone as soon as your done.

As far as using premium, most oil companies want you to believe that they put their best additive packages only in the premium gas with their advertisements. I remember hearing that this wasn't true and there were threats/suits to make them stop the false advertising. I don't know for sure if they actually do put better stuff in their premium now, but I tend to doubt it.

If you engine does run fine on regular, with out the computer retarding ignition timing to prevent knocking, then you will actually get a little worse gas mileage with premium as it has a slightly lower btu/gal content due to the addition of the octane improvers. But if your computer is consistantlr retarding the ignition timing because of detonation, the timing change will hurt mileage (and power). Unfortunately you can't really tell what the computer is doing without an onboard scan tool.

The only reasons I can see for Ford recommending against premium, is for the slightly higher mileage for thier CAFE averages, and perhaps they feel the octane additives may accelerate corrosion or be detrimental to some of the newer plastic parts they are using, such as the intake plenum. Either way, its a waste of the owners money if they don't need it.

Thanks Gerry and everyone else for the "Gas" info. I agree what was said that premium is just draining the money in the wallet if the motor was design to use regular. I feel that just getting the right brand of fuel that is top rated can be a hassile sometimes, due whether if its not sour, which I've probably bought every now and then. Keep the info rolling!

Isn't the valve already closed by the time the piston can compress the mixture to the point where preignition occurs?

------------------
ExploreMinnesota
91 EB 4x4 Stock

There are a couple gas stations around here that sell 98 octane gas, i try to use them whenever possible, buecause i have a stinkin knocking problem, that is making me think twice about getting rid of my explorer Dead Link Removed

Tony 91 Sport

Try cleaning your MAF sensor and it will take care of the pinging problem.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

How can you tell when you've run out of invisible ink?

Wabbit,
I understand that you do what ever you have to, but if your truck is pinging and everyone elses doesn't ping, you have a problem that needs to be fixed. Running 92 octane only masks the problem. It is fine for a band aid until you can get the problem fixed. If an engine is made to run on 87 octane and pings, It has a problem. If you use 92 octane and it stops pinging. It still has a problem, because it is not supposed to ping with 87octane. Dead Link Removed

Gerry,
Real good explanation. Thank you for the info. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Happy Wheelin'
Ray L.
97 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC
Dead Link Removed

I guess I need to clarify that my recommendation to run premium as opposed to letting your motor ping was as a temporary measure. I'm sure I agreed that a mechanical solution should be sought out.
It seems that many of us work on our rigs in incremental measures. Whether it be money or time that paces our progress.
So if your willing to "hit the boards" and solve the mechanical issues that can contribute to pinging, kudos abound... But if for some reason you haven't quite worked it out... don't just let it ping.

I have a 97 mountaineer with 56k on it. I got it used and have since experimented with the different grades of gas. I believe the book says to use regular, but for some reason I get better gas milage with super. Just filled up the other day with regular and down to half a tank already. I have traveled just under 100 mi in city and on highway. Even cleaned MAF, installed KKM, and reset computer. I avg btn 11.9 and 12.7 mpg. Any comments?

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8
KKM Tru-Rev
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
More to Come Before Summer :)

EMStaxi,

Other people on this board have had the same poor fuel economy are you are having. Your problem is probably a bad fuel presure requlator. Do a search on this board for that and you should find the matching threads.

Good luck!

------------------
ExploreMinnesota
91 EB 4x4 Stock

Norman,

I would try to get a scan tool diagnostic on it. If premium is giving you better mileage, I would look at the "knock" counts from the knock sensor and how much it is retarding the ignition timing, which kills power and mileage. Chemical cleaning of the carbon could be a cheap fix, in fact, if you can't get a scan tool reading easily or cheaply enough, I would just go and do the cleaning myself and see what that does.

Hope that helps,

Gerry

------------------
2000 4x4 XLT SOHC V6

I just started using premium the other day on my '99 sport,due to the fact,I recently installed a superchip,that needs at least 90 octane,I have been told by superchip,and KKM,(place I bought it from)that it shouldn't be a problem. I hope they are correct about this. anyone who uses a superchip,what octane are you using???

------------------
Bill
'99 sport,sohc,4X4
T/A,ko's (255/70's)
kkm-true rev,superchip
bilsteins

Back