• Register Today It's free!

reliability

nvrhapy

Reaction score
City, State
detroit, michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
how reliable are the ford explorers, i have a 96 sport manual with 135,000 miles on it, seems to run fine but do you think its still reliable enough to take on trips with the family? i have a cabin about 3 hrs from where i live and i'm debating on selling the explorer and buying something new or not. i guess you could say i'm just being precautious or paranoid, not sure but definatley don't want to drive something thats likely to break down on the side of the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as the maintenance has been done..no worries.

i have pretty much same explorer. mine is a 5speed with 113,000 miles. has been good to me the whole 2 months i have had it. i love it. as long as it was taken care of and is still taken care of no problem. i wouldnt be afraid to take either of mine across the country, actaully just went 300 miles in the other X today. tip is when something seems different get it checked out asap. that saved me a couple time so far lol. in my opinion, keep it. waht money you would spend on getting a new one, tune up your current one. all new fluids etc etc etc. good luck

one other question i have a 4.56 gear with locker and i'm running 33's, off course my speedometer is off haven't figured out by how much yet though but i noticed that when driving on the freeway the rpms seem kinda high. like around 3 grand should i be worried? will this hurt my engine driving long distances?

3000 is kinda high,all thoyou have 4.56's my moms X has 3.73's with lsd, i noticed today at highway speeds is runs about 2300. my x has open 3.55's it runs a little lower dont relaly know exact. maybe put different gears if your doing alot of highway miles.

so i guess this is something to worry about, well i just got the gears and locker installed and paid alot for them i don't see me redoing it all again is there any thing else i could do to help with this problem.

Put on bigger tyres LOL

3000RPM will not hurt the motor, it’s maxim continual RPM will be around 4000RPM, so yes 3000 is high but I wouldn’t be too concerned, mine with a 3.73 LSD and at 120km/h (75 miles) it’s doing around 2500Rpm and I have sat on this speed for 9-11 hrs stoping only for Petrol (Gas) in 110 degrees F heat (40C) with out issue.

If you just got gears and a locker installed may as well hang onto it for another year to make the money spent worth wile IMO.

Back