• Register Today It's free!

Remote and keyless entry question

DonDDR1

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
TBD
Just bought my first Explorer, 1999 4.0, and I didn't get the keyless code for the drivers door or a remote. How do I get a remote and keypad code?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I retrieved the door keypad code last week. Get yourself a flashlight and a dentist mirror. At first it seem impossible even with those tools. There is less than an inch of space between the module and the inside panel but it can be done. What was more amazing was that the thing still worked. I am not sure why you need the keypad if you have a remote.

When I got my Explorer didn't know about this site. Cost me $95 at dealership to find the code :(
Also, if you have TWO keys, you can make another one with a generic blank key (chipped) from eBay, and program it yourself in the system.

I didn't do that, so when my wife lost one key, I had to pay again the dealer to program the new one in. Now I have three keys, just in case.

I don't have a second key so this is not an option. However, Lowes can cut a key, chip and all, for $70. Has to be cheaper than the dealer.

I don't have a second key so this is not an option. However, Lowes can cut a key, chip and all, for $70. Has to be cheaper than the dealer.

I bought a key off eBay for $5.94 (free shipping) and my Ford dealer charged $45 to cut and program it. Lowes, Walmart ad ACE clone your original key rather than programming your PCM for an additional key, not that it makes much difference. I don't know if a cloned key would allow you to program additional keys yourself though.

the keypad comes in really handy when you lock your keys in your truck, or when you need to get in and don't have your key with you. one of my daughters locks her keys in her car on a regular basis (always has). I changed her door code to her birth date, the problem is she still can't remember the 5 digit number, so I had to put it on a Dymo label and hide it on the truck. I tried a hide-a-key once, but she used it and then stuck it in the glove box. so guess who got called the next time she locked herself out? she has the code in her smart phone, but the last time she locked herself out, guess where her phone was? the only other thing I can think to do is to get it tattooed on her arm.

I remember back in the 90s, those keypads were all the rage. It was like having factory navigation on todays cars. I didn't bother to change the code but wrote it on a sticker. Guess where I put the sticker. On the RAP box! Actually last night I did use the keypad to lock the doors because I didn't have the key. That's a one push operation.

Back