Remote entry question (RAP Module) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote entry question (RAP Module)

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I got curious a while back when a friend said I probably had remote entry, even tho I have no key pad on the door on my 98 Sport...So I bought a $10 key fob...ebay of coarse. I found the program method on here, and tried it several times with no luck...tried it with the 8 times I've read on here, and the 5 times it says in my owners manual...Long story short, I went looking for the RAP module in the jack compartment...no RAP! So I gave up a while, until now. I just removed the passenger's side airbag and looked there...no RAP! This is what was there. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Ford-R...y-OEM-/110597164024?item=110597164024&vxp=mtr ...Can I just replace this with a RAP module...or is there a lot more to it to get remote door locks? Are the cheap aftermarket ones ok? All I want is remote door locks, not the keypad or anything else.

Thanks!
Scott.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never liked the looks of a keypad anyway...I used to drive a 2005 F-150 that had one, and thought it would look MUCH better without it ...I never used it anyway. I always used the fob...didn't even memorize the #...

I never liked the looks of a keypad anyway...I used to drive a 2005 F-150 that had one, and thought it would look MUCH better without it ...I never used it anyway. I always used the fob...didn't even memorize the #...

I use mine on occasion, but I agree I use my key fob on my car not the pad, I don't care about the look either way, but I do wish it was in the B pillar and integrated, unlike the focus where its a big chunk of plastic hanging off the door.

I use mine on occasion, but I agree I use my key fob on my car not the pad, I don't care about the look either way, but I do wish it was in the B pillar and integrated, unlike the focus where its a big chunk of plastic hanging off the door.

I forgot the newer ones had it there.Do they even have a keyed lock access?...they don't, do they? I haven't looked that closely at them...Way out of my price range, for now anyways.

Best $14.30 I ever spent!...I now have Keyless Entry. It was a fairly easy install too. The directions...or should I say the lack of, were only a couple of schematics, but they were sufficient.

Back