Remote Start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start

To answer you question to me, it was a pretty easy instalation and I did it myself in about 2hours. The range is not the greatest, but it easily starts my truck from inside my house even when it is half way down my street. Dont know the actual range.

does that cheap system include everything u need for remote start or do u have to buy additional parts?

unfortunately, my distributor does not carry one that is a two way system without the alarm. but you can hook it up without the alarm and the resell the shock sensor and siren and recover some of the money.

how much would i be able to get one of the DEI two way starter systems from u personally? (thru ur distributor if thats what u suggested) and would i have to buy an additional PATS system or is that included in what u suggest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my distributor has very limited dei models. they dont have any two way systems. the pats bypass does not come with it. like some said before, its like $25 either from me or from any other place.

Yes, it included everything I needed, but I did not have PATS. I did hook up a bulldog system in my wife's old accord that had PATS. I simply hid a spare key (with the chip inside) inside the steering column so that the starter would work. This was much easier than buying the additional parts to bypass the PATS, and frankly much easier.

Yes, it included everything I needed, but I did not have PATS. I did hook up a bulldog system in my wife's old accord that had PATS. I simply hid a spare key (with the chip inside) inside the steering column so that the starter would work. This was much easier than buying the additional parts to bypass the PATS, and frankly much easier.

seeing how u worded it, seems like ur key for ur explorer didnt have a chip in it... how close did u have to put it to the key hole to make it work?

my distributor has very limited dei models. they dont have any two way systems. the pats bypass does not come with it. like some said before, its like $25 either from me or from any other place.

what is the best price u can get me on ur own personal recommendation for the best starter? would the method he^ described work rather than hooking up a PATs system?

seeing how u worded it, seems like ur key for ur explorer didnt have a chip in it... how close did u have to put it to the key hole to make it work?

what is the best price u can get me on ur own personal recommendation for the best starter? would the method he^ described work rather than hooking up a PATs system?

my recommendation would be the audiovox 996 system i mentioned before. if you want a one way remote start, i can get one for $75 (http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...0001&storeId=10001&productId=16646&langId=-1).
as far as just putting the key by the ignition, i wouldnt recommend doing it, but it can work. its worth a try and if it doesnt work, go pick up a pats bypass. basically what it comes down to, as with most car products, the more you pay, the more you are going to get with a remote start/alarm. however, if you can get something at a distributor price, you are getting a better deal than if you get it from a dealer. the 996 system goes for around $500 installed around my area. in the end, get what you really want. its not my money, so its a lot easier for me to say go for the best!

my recommendation would be the audiovox 996 system i mentioned before. if you want a one way remote start, i can get one for $75 (http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/...0001&storeId=10001&productId=16646&langId=-1).
as far as just putting the key by the ignition, i wouldnt recommend doing it, but it can work. its worth a try and if it doesnt work, go pick up a pats bypass. basically what it comes down to, as with most car products, the more you pay, the more you are going to get with a remote start/alarm. however, if you can get something at a distributor price, you are getting a better deal than if you get it from a dealer. the 996 system goes for around $500 installed around my area. in the end, get what you really want. its not my money, so its a lot easier for me to say go for the best!

what is the range on the audiovox one way?

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?partid=16945

this looks fairly decent and comes with everything... is that little black box a PATs system? and does this look worse or better than the one i had originally posted... btw i went with a 1-way cheaper system cuz my exhaust is loud enough to where i can probably hear it start

sorry i didnt see the post about the range on the audiovox one way. its 1000 ft. that little black box is the "brain" of the unit. i dont know anything about either of those systems that you mentioned but the first one says it can use the factory remotes which is pretty cool.

sorry i didnt see the post about the range on the audiovox one way. its 1000 ft. that little black box is the "brain" of the unit. i dont know anything about either of those systems that you mentioned but the first one says it can use the factory remotes which is pretty cool.

the first one being my original post or the one i just did?

first post of this thread

and what do u mean it says u can use the factory remote? dont i have to buy a new remote regardless cuz mine doesnt have a startup button?

sorry i misread it. it says it works with the factory keyless transmitter. i would assume that means its just one less wire to attach.

Rhyno,
I have 96 X. Does it mean I do not have PATS either? My key does not have a chip inside for sure, since I made a copy at Home Depot and it works just fine. Do you now carry 2 remotes: one for starter and one for anti-theft? Or, you can control everything from the new remote?
Thanks

sorry i misread it. it says it works with the factory keyless transmitter. i would assume that means its just one less wire to attach.

ooo rite... well i think i may call the manufacturer tomorrow or just order the thing and see how everything works out... ill keep u posted on results and thanx for the help

So I have a good one. I wanna upgrade from my factory keyless to a full security system with remote start. But here's the catch.. I'm gonna get one of those '07 Fusion keys in the near future, and I'd like to be able to use the remote built into the key for the alarm, locks, and starter. Is there such a beast out there, or am I doomed to add a clicker if I want something more?
Also, anyone know if I can add the factory codekey on the driver's door if I don't have one already? If not, it's cool. I gotta post with some questions when I get done reading anyway. =-)

Hey bigapple I do installs at a Ford dealer up here in Canada and the Ford authorized system you can get at a local ford dealer is great. It's not 2 way but it dose have great range 1 km easy (over half a mile or run as fast as you can for like 5 min's and that would be about right...lol...)
The install is not too bad I would guess about 4 hours first time (more for a 5 year old...lol...). Yes you will need the PAT's interface but the ford one is soo slick it's sick...
If you try the spare key in the colum trick that just makes your PATS system totally usless and anyone can steal your vehicle. I don't know but what the deal is down there but up here if the police find a key in your car when it's recovered, well say by-by to any insurance $$$ (thieves will rip apart the colum to try and start the car and when they find the key well...)
From my experiance cheep is cheep spend some extra now and be happier with it in the long run...
Cheers R...

Hey bigapple I do installs at a Ford dealer up here in Canada and the Ford authorized system you can get at a local ford dealer is great. It's not 2 way but it dose have great range 1 km easy (over half a mile or run as fast as you can for like 5 min's and that would be about right...lol...)
The install is not too bad I would guess about 4 hours first time (more for a 5 year old...lol...). Yes you will need the PAT's interface but the ford one is soo slick it's sick...
If you try the spare key in the colum trick that just makes your PATS system totally usless and anyone can steal your vehicle. I don't know but what the deal is down there but up here if the police find a key in your car when it's recovered, well say by-by to any insurance $$$ (thieves will rip apart the colum to try and start the car and when they find the key well...)
From my experiance cheep is cheep spend some extra now and be happier with it in the long run...
Cheers R...

haha yea i threw that idea aaway cuz it seemed bad like that... i already ordered the bulldog starter from stylintrucks.com and im waiting on the wiring harness and security system bypass... with the wiring harness, installing it is only clicking to connectors together... it should be fairly simple and ill post a video and pictures once i get it done... it has lock and unlock on the remote but i purchased a fusion key so i wouldnt have to worry about 2 remotes cuz im not gunna use the lock and unlock feature, just the starter... so ill have the fusion key with the lock, unlock, panic, and rear hatch and the other remote with the start and stop... easy enough

got this with my alarm works great love it

Back