• Register Today It's free!

Removal of rear rotor

hhazz

Reaction score
City, State
stockbridge, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
Need to replace rear rotor on 1996 2wd explorer.

Does anyone know if this rotor should slide off , or are there any bolts holding it in. I took off the caliper and the lock washers off the studs but I dont see any thing else holding it on, I even tryed to bang it out with a hammer. HELP

Well you also have to remove the bracket that the Caliper bolts onto. Once this is off and out of the way the Rotor will come off. Check to see if your Wheel studs have a locking ring on 2 of them, these hold the rotor tight against the axle. Use a small screw driver and pry the little tabs up, and you should be able to free it after you pry a couple of the tabs, take these rings off, and keep them, it will make your job easier when you got o reinstall the Rotors. All you have to do is flatten the ring back out and then push them on the wheel studs when you have the Rotor Back on....

Another thing to keep in mind is make sure your emergency brake is not on. Try turning the rotor a few times. Maybe put the wheel on to give you more leverage. The rotor will slide off once the two or three lug clips are removed and caliper stuff is out of the way. Sometimes they can get stuck though if you have driven any amount of miles with your parking brake on. It will wear the inside of your rotor (the drum part) to create a little lip that is hard at first to get to clear the emergency brake shoes. You might have to adjust the brakes shoes to releave some of the pressure also. You do that just like any normal drum brakes via an access hole in the back of the the wheel. If while turning the little star adjuster your brakes push against the drum, go the other way.

Thanks, I will get to work on that tonight

Back