• Register Today It's free!

Rear disc brake rotor removal

zippee

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT, 1997 XLT
I just bought a 1997 XLT with 4 wheel disc brakes. I bought rotors and pads to replace. The driver side rear rotor came off no problem; the passenger side has not. I've tried persuading, shot all points full of penetrating oil, and the rotor is not coming off. The manual just says, "Remove rotor." Is there a retaining bolt or bracket on the rear that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Zippee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BFH will do it.. :hammer:

E-brake is off, right?

section525 said:
E-brake is off, right?

I'm thinking it maybe stuck. You may have to get in behind the dust plate and take the adjuster down. Its a little slit in the plate on the opposite side of the lugs, directly underneath the axle.

The rotor rotates. I know that if the inner hub is worn the EB shoes will hang up in it. This is not like that; there is no movement at all.

This isn't the safest of ways to do it but. Jack both back wheels off the ground then put it in drive then put it in neutral when the rotors fall off. Caution: put something in the caliper so the piston does not come out while hitting the brakes to put it in gear.

You've probably got a rust ridge in the e-brake drum. Back the adjuster off as far as you can, and sometimes the e-brake levers stick, so you may have to give it a little pry towards the back of the car to make sure they're not hanging up. I wouldn't recommend the above procedure.

Eneurb is probably right. It happens a lot. Good luck!

-Drew

Yes, there's no way I would do that. This is a vehicle from the Northeast so the rotors are pretty corroded and this one was just stuck. It appears to be original shoes/rotors also.

Since I concluded that there was nothing else holding it on, I used the BFH method of removal. Using a large chisel wedged between the back of the rotor and the caliper anchor frame, then "tapping" on the axle center was effective.

Back