Remove Primary Timing chain w/o loosening jack-shaft bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove Primary Timing chain w/o loosening jack-shaft bolt

Jasonx521

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4 door 4x4 SOHC
Well, about a week ago I remove my balance shaft, cut the b.s. chain, and plugged the oil holes to balance shaft.

Side note:
I can say for sure that the engine definitely vibrates more. At idle it runs smooth, but you can feel a hum type vibration, and around the 2-3k rpm I can feel it again, then around 5-6k rpm you can again feel it.

And this motor has no oil, water, or air leaks; with new injectors, gaskets, exhaust, main & rod bearings, oil pump, and all timing chains, gears, tensioners, and guides. (all sensors are new as well "motorcraft only")
It ran very smooth before removing the b.s., but made this noise like a bad power steering pump. (I did remove my serp. belt and the noise was still heard)

After removing the b.s. the noise was gone and the engine is quiet again.

I now want to install a new balance shaft, sprockets, chain, guide, and tensioner. (You can buy the bearings for the b.s., but not the bushing type bearing for the sprocket shaft and they are only standard size bearings, so you would not be able to turn the (2) shafts down)

I have perfected removing the upper pan with out pulling the engine, so I plan on installing with engine in the truck. (drop front axle, move the power steering cooler, and then remove upper pan {you have to move it just right, but it will come out toward the rear without lifting the engine})

ACTUAL QUESTION:
I really hope to be able to remove the primary guide, tensioner, and then remove the primary chain without loosening the jack-shaft bolt? Anybody tried this?

I need to slide the primary crankshaft sprocket off the crankshaft to install new b.s. sprocket and chain.

That way I could just hold the crankshaft and right camshaft at TDC (good access from the front of engine) and install the new balance shaft, then primary chain, guide, tensioner, and so on and not have to re-time everything.
????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

removing primary chain

It is possible to replace the primary timing chain guide and tensioner without removing the primary chain. However, even with the guide and tensioner removed I doubt there is enough slack in the chain to get it off the crankshaft sprocket.
SOHCvalvetrain.JPG

Hopefully I'm wrong but I suspect the primary chain, crankshaft sprocket, and the jackshaft sprocket will have to be removed as an assembly. To do that the jackshaft sprocket retaining bolt will have to be removed and the camshafts will have to be retimed. You can try sliding the crankshaft sprocket with chain forward and see if you can get it past the end of the crankshaft. Good luck and let us know if its possible.

Jasonx521

Can you tell me where you are getting your b.s. bearings, I need to find a set.

Thanks

left camshaft or jackshaft with spring guide

In the picture, is depicted the left camshaft or jackshaft with the spring guide, I need to know what exactly that part number is, because the part that has most of the spare parts stores is not the same and makes noisy this part. Anybody know the part number of this? wher can I find it? Thanks.

chain tensioner

Thanks for the quick response! but in the list the part could be the YL2Z6L266AA, but this still is not the right Tensioner-engine jackshaft chain that I really need and appears in the picture of the post. Actually, I already have the YL2Z6L266AA, but didn't work, I need the very similar part showed in the picture. Someone knows which could be the right p/n? in the worn part that I have, it has the following data: XL2F-6M271-AA SETT 40. Thanks.

obsolete tensioner

That tensioner is obsolete and no longer available. Even if it were, you wouldn't want it. There are only 3 leaves in the spring section and it has a flimsy base. The replacement has 6 leaves and a much stronger base. The improved tensioner was incorporated in all 2002 and later SOHC V6 engines.

Edit: Did you remove the pin that allows the tensioner to apply pressure against the chain?

then, the new one must work ok?

oh man, well, the problem that the mechanic found installing this is every time when the engine starts, start to sound a noise, he thinks due this part. do you think is a bad installation? so, we can install this part and must work fine? because the mechanic said that only when he install the old part there's no noise. thanks.

primary chain tensioner problem

You're the only one I can think of who has problems with the improved primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain tensioner. Is your mechanic experienced with working on the Ford SOHC V6? It's used in 2005 thru 2010 Mustangs as well as 2001 and later Rangers as well as Explorers and Mountaineers.

I'll get the original jackshaft from a Ford parts dealer, I saw the picture of the original part and is a little different from the part that has not worked. I really appreciate the info and support on this. Let's keep enjoying our Explorers! Thanks.

Back