Removing ABS braking system ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing ABS braking system ?

99 with rabs the speedo might still work because it is RABS
the 4WABS systems 98+ the ABS computer does the smoothing for the speedometer signal, meaning the abs computer takes the VSS signal from the rear axle and buffers the math down to the 8000 pulses per mile the GEM, cluster and PCM want to see
the 91-97 trucks still had a VSS in the tailhousing, which produced the 8000 pulses per mile, so those trucks are good

The RABS trucks the GEM module still does the math I believe

If you remove the ABS module and are left with no speedo then we need to add in a a Dakota Digital speedometer device, not a huge deal these days, can even use GPS enabled devce

This morning under the hood I unplugged the part of the 4WABS and the speedometer still works. However I did notice that the sound that I occasionally here when I pull up to a stop sign, the scrunk, scrunk, scrunk, sound went away.

My reply was relevant to ActionYobbo's question since the vehicle was a '98. I know on my '98, pulling the ABS fuse does cause loss of speedo and a trouble code, maybe P0500.

I realize that. I was stating that about the '97 as well for those whom may find this later. Mainly that I lost speedometer when the ABS fuse was pulled.

Back