Removing ABS on 94' removing HCU How? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing ABS on 94' removing HCU How?

Twilightcall

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' Explorer Limited
I was wondering about removing my ABS from my 94' X. I don't just want to pull the fuse but remove it completely. I don't like the idea of everytime I need to open the system I need to have the brakes bled with a special tool and I have never been fond of ABS.
If I remove the HCU (hyd. control unit) do I have to put in a adjustable prop. valve?
Has anyone done this?

What other items should be addressed? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why on earth would you want to remove ABS.

Why not. Bad in snow. Can't bleed it once air gets in it. I have never had a car with it. Plus, it doesn't work that great to begin with. On a BMW yes on a Ford from 94' not even close, too cheap.

Do you know how to remove it? If so please inform the correct procedure.

The only way to properly remove the 4wheel ABS is to retrofit your X with the master cylinder and brake lines from a '91-'92 rear ABS equipped X. You can bypass the Rear ABS on the early model system easily, but bypassing a 4WAL is not wise as the ABS controller is the porportioning valve.

Is there a proportioning valve on the RABS Explorers? Does the master cylinder act as a proportioning valve with any year explorer? I thought that the master cylinder just provided equal amounts of pressure to both the front and rear lines. So basically what I'm asking is, "What acts as the proportioning valve on the older "rear only" ABS?"

i'm looking to do this too on my 1996.

anyone have advice?

Back