Removing Automatic Headlights completely? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Automatic Headlights completely?

My slider did the same as DM's, several years ago and I too unplugged it. These seem to have a definite service life.

I tried WD-40 with no effect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heh, there is a "bright" side to having a chromed rear bumper unlike newer vehicles. Any vehicle behind me with headlights a little below the level of my bumper, gets their headlights reflected right back at their eyes if they're too close. Maybe with so many higher-riding SUVs on the road these days, a bumper-mount shim to aim the bumper reflection up a little, wouldn't hurt...

And this, this here is a madman, if ya want to keep a functioning vehicle with functioning lights, ignore the comment 😂
yeah ignore me in general, i make comments like these! 🤣 but as i said, fix4dirt does not encourage this!!!! im just thinking about how cool it would be to get revenge on the tailgaters, not that i would do that though, thats evil🤣 and who says a washer nozzle filled with paint stripper affects the lighting in any way? can still have functional lighting and tailer deterrent!

Heh, there is a "bright" side to having a chromed rear bumper unlike newer vehicles. Any vehicle behind me with headlights a little below the level of my bumper, gets their headlights reflected right back at their eyes if they're too close.
Used to work for me, I painted it black though, the new Rado still has a chrome bumper though, the hitch still says "back off" though 😂
Besides, shes tall enough most cars headlights don't see passed the tailgate, so I'm not blinded 😂

285012517_2047959402053082_9141149943943860880_n.jpg

yeah ignore me in general, i make comments like these! 🤣 but as i said, fix4dirt does not encourage this!!!! im just thinking about how cool it would be to get revenge on the tailgaters, not that i would do that though, thats evil🤣 and who says a washer nozzle filled with paint stripper affects the lighting in any way? can still have functional lighting and tailer deterrent!
Nah, nah, ya want revenge on the tailgaters? Do like I wanted to do and am going to do on the new Rado. Auxillary reverse lights, hook them to the reverse lights AND an auxiliary switch, so as you're driving down the highway, you can turn them on without being in reverse, scaring and blinding the crap out of anyone behind ya!!

Used to work for me, I painted it black though, the new Rado still has a chrome bumper though, the hitch still says "back off" though 😂
Besides, shes tall enough most cars headlights don't see passed the tailgate, so I'm not blinded 😂

View attachment 430758
i dont see no back off sticker!!! make it a sign in the rear window!!! and there is the solution to blinking lights, lift er higher!!! even though im slightly lifted i don get it from cars and most suv, just lifted super duties and the like

Nah, nah, ya want revenge on the tailgaters? Do like I wanted to do and am going to do on the new Rado. Auxillary reverse lights, hook them to the reverse lights AND an auxiliary switch, so as you're driving down the highway, you can turn them on without being in reverse, scaring and blinding the crap out of anyone behind ya!!
ahhh true, but my way is also fun too ;) both are fun! and my aux reverse lights dont require me to be in reverse.............. just key in ignition.................. double trouble!!!

i dont see no back off sticker!!! make it a sign in the rear window!!! and there is the solution to blinking lights, lift er higher!!! even though im slightly lifted i don get it from cars and most suv, just lifted super duties and the like
Nah, I just mean the hitch looks mean, nice and chrome so you can see it any time of day, hook sticking straight up, ready to grab hold: you hit me, and I'll be taking you with me 😂

ahhh true, but my way is also fun too ;) both are fun! and my aux reverse lights dont require me to be in reverse.............. just key in ignition.................. double trouble!!!
Mine originally were hooked to work only in reverse, this time I'll add both! Exactly for that! Weird how people drive so stupid around trucks, especially bigger ones. I mean, it was bad in the X, but holy crap its several times a day in this beast, people either merge on top of me, cut me off, tailgate me; its ridiculous!! My truck will take the hit and keep on ticking, your little civic is going to be totaled, what are ya thinking?! Besides, I have a dash cam (used to, need a new one), they'll see whos fault it really was, so I'm safe 😂

Mine originally were hooked to work only in reverse, this time I'll add both! Exactly for that! Weird how people drive so stupid around trucks, especially bigger ones. I mean, it was bad in the X, but holy crap its several times a day in this beast, people either merge on top of me, cut me off, tailgate me; its ridiculous!! My truck will take the hit and keep on ticking, your little civic is going to be totaled, what are ya thinking?! Besides, I have a dash cam (used to, need a new one), they'll see whos fault it really was, so I'm safe 😂
dont temp fate more than ya have to! i think the people who cut us off never driven a truck so they dont know that we dont stop on a dime like they do! and plus some seem like their license came out of a cereal box... mmm snap crackle pop

dont temp fate more than ya have to! i think the people who cut us off never driven a truck so they dont know that we dont stop on a dime like they do! and plus some seem like their license came out of a cereal box... mmm snap crackle pop
I don't even think they got the cereal box, think they just imagined it and need to go back to their padded cells 😂

I don't even think they got the cereal box, think they just imagined it and need to go back to their padded cells 😂
so if im gettin this straight: you can even just skip the cereal? thought that was the least ya had to do! :p

so if im gettin this straight: you can even just skip the cereal? thought that was the least ya had to do! :p
I mean, any nut job can go walk out and steal a car, don't need the cereal or the license to do so 😂

I mean, any nut job can go walk out and steal a car, don't need the cereal or the license to do so 😂
need a rock though to break window, and a screwdriver to start depending on age ;) just bein a pain! sometimes i almost wonder, people drive these things like they stolen!

need a rock though to break window, and a screwdriver to start depending on age ;) just bein a pain! sometimes i almost wonder, people drive these things like they stolen!
Who needs a rock when ya got spark plugs? Breaking a window is easy with one of them!!

Who needs a rock when ya got spark plugs? Breaking a window is easy with one of them!!
if ya didnt even get a license from ya capn crunch, probably dont even know what that is! only know rock 🤣

if ya didnt even get a license from ya capn crunch, probably dont even know what that is! only know rock 🤣
Man...takes rock...Rock mean good, rock break water wall! Man take rock to water wall...break water wall...open stone wall...turn wheel towards the sunset... 😂

Waterwall being the window and stone wall being the door, to anyone overthinking it 😂

Maybe I’m getting the terminology wrong. I was thinking that the Daytime Running Lights, that come on in the daytime, are automatic headlights. Yes, the mirror slider will lengthen and shorten the amount of time that the lights stay on when I kill the key. When I slide it clear to the left to the off position the lights still come on when I fire up the truck. Then if it’s light out it will shut them back off. This is with the light switch off.
Just to clarify: this thread is about auto headlights, not DRLs.
DRLs (Daylight Running Lights) are a different beast altogether, and - at least on the 2nd Gen EX work by operating the high beams at a low (about 1/4) intensity. As the name implies, they turn on only when headlights are turned off (automatically or otherwise) - usually in daytime. To the best of my knowledge, the module that performs this function was installed only on Canadian vehicles, to fulfill a legal requirement in that country, and never in the US. Incidentally, the DRLs also turn off when the parking brake is engaged.

Man...takes rock...Rock mean good, rock break water wall! Man take rock to water wall...break water wall...open stone wall...turn wheel towards the sunset... 😂

Waterwall being the window and stone wall being the door, to anyone overthinking it 😂
^^exactly!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The guys headlights are always on when the key turns, auto headlamps, controlled by the slider on the rear view mirror. Came on most Xs I've seen, Canadian or not. Mine was US made and had the mirror slider. So I'm guessing its a different thing you're talking about? Never even heard of a setting for high beams working at 1/4 intensity..? Just fix/clean the slider, or unplug it, the headlights will stay off unless you manually flip the switch beside the steering wheel. That was their issue, originally believed as the DRLs, which yes, are a completely different animal, but thats what the poster wanted, they wanted no headlights, just the DRLs to be running.

So yes, technically mainly about the headlights themselves, not so much the DRLs. They want only the DRLs to run sometimes but the slider prevents that, so they wanted to find a way around that.

Back