Removing battery for trickle charge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing battery for trickle charge

dora51032

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Explorer 3.5 FWD XLT
I do not have garage and access to any electric plug. I want to trickle charge my battery but wondering if its ok to remove it from the vehicle for let say over night. Is there any precaution or problem should i expect when leaving the explorer without battery for long period of time? Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can definitely remove the battery, and as far as the car is concerned, it's no different than taking oft the terminals really. The battery just sits in a tray with a clamp holding it down. The only thing that might/will happen is that you lose some settings (mine usually forgets the dash menu "memory" settings) and possibly radio stations etc. Nothing you can't easily set up again.

I do not have garage and access to any electric plug. I want to tickle charge my battery but wondering if its ok to remove it from the vehicle for let say over night. Is there any precaution or problem should i expect when leaving the explorer without battery for long period of time? Thank you
You should also take into account that removing the battery will affect the BMS (battery Maintenance System) and it will have to be reset or left to sit for an extended period of time in order to recalibrate. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...g-alternator-bad-already.463701/#post-3632229

Peter

Was it unhooked for an extended period of time?

Deltran make a battery tender that you can either connect via small post clamps or a second set of leads that have eye connectors that can remain connected to the battery permanently. I use it on my lowered Altima while it's hibernating in the winter months. Battery says inside the car and no reprogramming of the radio or any engine controls eg. Throttle sweep,..

Over night isnt even long period time to worry about.

Other than the BMS the only systems that would be affected are the transmission and fuel trim/idle setup. These will have to be 'relearned' as mentioned in your Owner's Manual.

Peter

Back