• Register Today It's free!

Removing Bulky Fender Flares....

toop

Reaction score
City, State
bullhead city, arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 ex sport
Well I was thinking about removing the factory bulky-grey fender flares that come on some Sports....(mine is a '99). And I was thinking about placing the "christmas tree-push rivets" in each and every whole that is uncovered when removing the flare...what do you guys think about this idea? Has anyone done it before (which I doubt since it sounds pretty cheap)?

The whole reason I want to do this is because I got my rear-right flare torn off already, so now I'm one flare short (long story)....And it will cost me atleast $150 to get a replacement....

Give me your thoughts and opinions please!

--ALSO so that I don't start a new thread...
I just put on 32x11.50 SSR's on 15x8 Xtreme Alloy (3.75 BS)...
When I hit on the breaks while making a right turn, it rubs on the rear-corner (where flare trim piece is)....is there anyway I can fix this?....It does not rub on the driver side at all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go for it.......

do it, then sell me the front ones!

if you do this please take pics...i would like to take my flares off too....but do not know what to do about the holes
thanks

At some point, I am going to pull all of them off and weld up the holes, then repaint. I have removed the whole pass side of flares, and it isn't all that hard, it just requires some muscle and patience.

Are any of the holes oblong, not round. I have removed almost everything from my 99 Limited, and some of the running board holes aren't round.
Don

Can you snap a few pics of your pass. side without the flares? I'd like to see what that looks like, sounds interesting!. If you can't no problem. Thanks.

when i took my flares off i put the xmas tree push in type things in the holes and cut some sheet metal and bed lined it to cover up to dog legs. i think it looks better without the flares

I remember most of the holes being round. On the front fenders, there were a lot of holes. More holes than clips. I believe that this is due to the smaller flares offered on some sport models.
I only have one pic of the pass. side w/o flares. you can't see the holes too well though. Everything is put back together now.
noflares.jpg

The thing looks awesome without flares. I love the look.

hmm....ill get some pics up tommorow of my truck with the torn-off flare....it looks a lot better than with the flare...but the holes kill it :( .... still thinking if i want to take them all off or not....

Fill in the holes. Not with body filler (bondo)!!

-Drew

truck1.jpg

theres my truck...no fender on rear....cant really see holes, but its ugly in person....

Hmmmmm, doesn't look half bad, but like you said, you can't really see the holes......

I'm guessing if you got a shop to fill the holes and match the paint you'd never know the difference!

if you do take off the front ones ill buy them :)

Hi,
I guess its just a matter of personel opinion, I had a 99 4door sport with flares. I now have a 98 V8 and miss the flares. I bought the ZENON flares just because I missed them so much. The truck just has the look of more BALLS with the flares, IN my opinion that is.

Back