Removing EGR valve 96 5.0

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
OK I got the 02 sensor fixed, now it's time to find the EGR problem. I want to remove the EGR. Can this be removed by itself without removing the housing that covers the ports? The tranny tube is very close and it has the sensor on the back of the EGR. Also, the bottom bolt is hard to get to and there's very little room.

I took the vacuum line off of the control valve and run it directly to the EGR and the engine didn't change so the EGR must be stuck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. The PFE is kind of in the way (the black vacuum valve gadget). Tie the heater hose back out of the way. Then remove the PFE.

After you remove the vacuum line and electric to the EGR there only only two bolts holding it to the upper intake. The top one is 14mm and the bottom is 13mm. I used a shorty ratcheting end wrench because space between the firewall and EGR is a little tight. You can use a box end if you have patience.

It goes a lot easier if you stand on something.

You should be able to open and close the EGR valve by running a small hose from it to a vacuum pump (mouth). You can get it to click open and shut and see the diaphragm moving. That doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be cleaned out as it may still be full of carbon. The sensor on the back of it is sold separately and the problem may be there. What code are you getting?

I got the P0401 code, insufficient flow. I took a piece of vac hose and put it on the EGR valve and used my mouth for vacuum and it seems to be stuck closed. That leads me to believe it's the valve itself.

A few days later I tripped the P0141 code, which is the downside 02 sensor. The funny part is while doing some searches here it seems others had the same thing happen. There's so many of them you would think there is a correlation between the two, but I wouldn't see why.

I would clean out the EGR valve and see where that takes you. I had to replace mine due to wear and. It was over $100, and worked fine since. EGR is exhaust gas recirculation for emissions ans perhaps the O2 sensor data going to the PCM is sensitive enough to throw a secondary code. I'm not going to pretend to know for sure.

Well Roberto, I got the O2 sensor done and now I'm going to try the EGR valve. I have a 13 mm wratchet wrench I will have to cut off but I still dont see me getting my hand in there. I'll let you know, lol.

If you are standing on a milk crate on the passenger side and remove the PFE with the heater hoses pulled back you will find room.

It looks like this if I can do it you can.

Attachments

• SANY0002.JPG
    SANY0002.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 5,514

You were right, only mine werent metric. The top was 9/16 and the bottom was 1/2.

I guess now I need to get some brake cleaner and see if I can salvage it.

Well, here's a good one. Whoever had the vehicle before me must have changed the sensor that hooks to the EGR valve, but they never put the gasket on between the sensor and the valve, so there was no vacume.

Were they just stupid or is there a reason they did this?

Half of the stuff on mine is mm-etric and half is SAE so I apologise for the assumption.

The previous owner may have tried to by pass the EGR based on a misguided mustang forum thread for horsepower gain.

If you cant salvage yours I will send you this one. It seems to be in working cond..

I know a guy at the local parts store and he took the gasket out of the sensor box and gave it to me as he didn't have one in stock. I drove it a few miles and so far no code so we'll see in a hundred miles or so.

Not a problem with the bolt sizes Roberto. I know how they are with bolts. I'll tell the next person theirs is 9/16th and half and sure as you know what they'll be metric.

Maybe you can help me with this one. I have another 97 I'm using for parts now, but I just put new rubber on it before the tranny crapped. They are the same size as this one only a diffrent tread. I don't have time to switch all four, and would it hurt to do the front two today, drive it and do the back two another day? It's all wheel drive.

As long as you don't run tires backwards (in the reverse direction as they have been running). Radial tires only go one way or you will have a severe shortness in life. You can swap the rear with the fronts but lot the lefts with the rights.

I kind of think that is what you are asking. If not correct me!

Secondly I wouldnt be so quick to assume the trans is shot for a shade tree mech. Check out the person a few threads down Inquiring about the same.

This EGR thead will help a few folks. Thanx.

I took the other rig to the tranny shop and they gave me the bad word. They said it was going to cost around 1400 for a rebuild and the rig had 18000 and was quite rusty so we decided against it. The salt really takes it's toll on things here. I paid 2200 for it in 05 and put 60000 on it so I got the money out of it. The motor still runs great though so I'll keep looking for another 4.0 rig with a blown motor.

What I was wondering about the tires was running 2 diffrent treads. Two of one kind on the front and two of another on the back. They are both P 275 R 15's

I want to find out if that is a scam. Lets hear it from the trans section of this sight. It sounds like a fluid flow/valve body issue. Is it really necessary to R&R the trans? I don't know I don't have a 5r55e. Anxious to find out about our brother who does.

If you want to throw an EGR code then drive at highway speeds.

hello everybody
i have a P0401 i have a 1997 ford explorer xl with 4x4auto 4x4 high 4x4low 4.0 ohv v-6 vin-x with 5-speed automatic i put three new oxygen sensor all three egr valve sensor i put new egr valve i put all new vacuum lines i put new o-rings and platumin gasket i have a K&N COLD AIT INTAKE GEN 2 it run perfect and i get better gas mpg then stock ait filter box im thinking i have carbon despoit i dont know what to do if anybody can help i would be happy i have 155,000miles

hello everybody
i have a P0401 i have a 1997 ford explorer xl with 4x4auto 4x4 high 4x4low 4.0 ohv v-6 vin-x with 5-speed automatic i put three new oxygen sensor all three egr valve sensor i put new egr valve i put all new vacuum lines i put new o-rings and platumin gasket i have a K&N COLD AIT INTAKE GEN 2 it run perfect and i get better gas mpg then stock ait filter box im thinking i have carbon despoit i dont know what to do if anybody can help i would be happy i have 155,000miles

Hello wow. You need to take a look at this.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0401

Your explorer has a DPFE and is different than the ones with the internal EGR as with my thread. Did you check for a leak in the egr tube or replace the DPFE?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back