• Register Today It's free!

Removing flat tow hardware

scotty7676

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I just bought a 2011 Limited that was used as a flat tow vehicle. I'd like to remove all the hardware to prevent any points of failure while driving it. I figured out how to remove the tow bar base, but the breakaway system and lighting system doesn't seem to be so easy. The breakaway is what concerns me. Any pointers on where to start with this? Is it really tied into the hydraulic lines of the brakes?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can take a pic of the front end, but there's not much to take a pic of. That's the problem I'm having is that I can't see any of the breakaway hardware. From what I've seen on the internet, there is some sort of canister device that ties into the hydraulic brake lines somewhere.

There's also an interesting device that ties into the intake vacuum system that was added. Not sure what that is either.

The plug in lights I'm hoping are just plugged into the existing lighting system somewhere...I'm hoping they didn't do any splicing of wiring.

i might be interested in buying your base plate
send me a pm and we can talk
brianj

Can't see them tieing into the hydraulics as that would screw up the ABS system. Typically in flat tow vehicles there is a device mounted to the brake pedal of the towed vehicle to actuate the brake system. As for the lighting system the easiest thing to do is add a separate light bulb to the tail light and use a separate wire to provide power. Pull the tail lights out and see if any wiring had been installed there first. It's next to impossible to wire the lights through the existing system as it is typically controlled by computer nowadays. Ryan

Can't see them tieing into the hydraulics as that would screw up the ABS system. Typically in flat tow vehicles there is a device mounted to the brake pedal of the towed vehicle to actuate the brake system. As for the lighting system the easiest thing to do is add a separate light bulb to the tail light and use a separate wire to provide power. Pull the tail lights out and see if any wiring had been installed there first. It's next to impossible to wire the lights through the existing system as it is typically controlled by computer nowadays. Ryan

That's exactly how our enclave is set up to be towed. I wish I knew more about the mechanics of the whole thing to help. We have the air system that clamps to the brake pedal and the second lights that are used when plugged into the motorhome. As for the breakaway, I really don't see any problems with leaving it connected but tuck it away. It's the same as having it on other care still being towed.

Yep, got it all figured out now. Got the tow bar base off and the figured out it had a solenoid type setup that pulled a cable hooked to the brake petal...the cable was unhooked and hiding under the carpeting. Also got the vacuum pump off that created vacuum for the brake booster. I just have to find the processor that everything hooks to and remove, then should be done. The lights were spliced into the tail lights on the car going through these little boxes (to remove feedback or something). Thanks for the advice!

Most of those processors are wireless so it's likely they took it out if you can't find it.

Back