• Register Today It's free!

Removing front Axle

brianmc

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I'm in the process of installing the 5.5" superlift with SOA in the rear, and 4.56 gears. rear's almost done, however I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the rotors to remove the front axels. I know I can drop it the whole front end and get it out from under the vehicle, but where the spindles are there appears to be a 2 and 3/8 socket with one groove. I've looked and looked and no one makes a 2 and 3/8 socket. So my question is, how do I get it off so I can remove the axles and change the front ring and pinion? We need to get this done ASAP, by Friday, July 2nd. So ordering any type of special tool is out of the picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 3/8" socket.. that means you still have the auto hubs with the auto hub retaining nut.

It is a 2 3/8" nut and Autozone/Checker/Napa etc carry the spindle nut socket for that.

BUT...

That "slot" you saw in there has a key. You need to get the key out of there first before you try to take the nut off. If the nut has shifted at all you may need to move the nut slightly to free up the key so you can get it out.

If you actually trying to "pull the axles" your going to have to drop the pig to do it. The Drivers side (short shaft) just pulls out of the diff once you get the spindle off. The passenger side axle is held into the pig with a c-clip "looking" thing. Its more like an e-clip. You have to pull the pig out so you can pull the clip so you can pull the axle.

Tbars4 has a good thread on here about using a spring from an echo weedwhacker and a shaft collar as a c-clip eliminator.

~Mark

...After picking the pin out of the key-way, I've used channel locks to get the nut off when no tool was to be found...Might be a good time to throw some manual hubs on too..;)

...Here is the info on the C-Clip Eliminator...Post #5 has pumpkin removal info too..:hammer:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256302

thanks guys. i've run into a new problem removing the front axle, and that is "undoing" the abs sensors to pull the axles out. any tips on gettin that off?

...The front ABS sensors only have 2 screws each...After you unscrew them I usually gently pry from the rear or gently tap them with a block of wood to get them started moving, from the rotor side...

...Removal and re-installing should be done somewhat delicately and they are not that hard to do...If you beat them out, chances are you will have an ABS light on when you put them back together..:(

Back