Removing Spindle Ball Joints - Suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Spindle Ball Joints - Suggestions?

dsfii93sport

Reaction score
City, State
Indy, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
I am trying to get my spindle off, I have removed everything around it including pulled the axleshaft out and removed the lower ball joint nut, and the top ball joint snap ring, including the pinch bolt.

How does this sucker come off? I have beat it on the sides where the joints are and nothing but ringing ears. I can't get a 2 jaw puller in there to pull the lower ball joint out.

Anyone have suggestions? ... Please :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried a pickle fork? When I did mine I used a balljoint press to get them in and out. Took LOTS of force to get those things out. I recommend going to a shop and having them use a press to get them out, takes mere seconds.

No Im bout to go buy a fork though and give it a try,,, Guess i dont need to worry about the boot any cause I will be replacing the joints...

So your saying after I get the spindle off, I will stil have to have the joints pressed out and back in?

dsfii93sport said:
No Im bout to go buy a fork though and give it a try,,, Guess i dont need to worry about the boot any cause I will be replacing the joints...

So your saying after I get the spindle off, I will stil have to have the joints pressed out and back in?

You will really want a press.

Now, I have a question for you. I think your truck has front wheel ABS. How did you remove the front ABS sensors? You have to remove them to get to the front axleshaft...so, how'd you do it?

There are screws on the back of the steering knuckle for the ABS sensor. You say you've gotten the axleshaft out, so all you have left is the spindle. Have you taken out the camber bushing? I pounded on the upper balljoint bolt with a hammer. Took a couple real good hits, then the knuckle came off.

Im not real familiar with all this stuff but,, I don't think I took the camber bushing off yet. Is it teh big looking nut on the top of the upper ball joint that has a notch in it for lining up? If so Its still on there. The upper joint seems to look loose, but the lower is whats not moving. I need to get something in that little space to press it out...

I just beat the heck out of the spindle and it eventually falls. My first time doing ball joints I was unsure of the location to hit and the force used. With time you will hit it harder until it drops.

Just beat on the ball joint studs real hard. I deformed mine real bad, but it's not like they're getting reused.

Use a pickle fork in an air hammer. The spindle just drops off the ball joint seal is destroyed but new ones are cheap

Back