• Register Today It's free!

removing the cam/oil pump drive

93xplorersport

Reaction score
City, State
paris, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport 4x4
How do you take the cam out of our motors? I have a repair book and I have the block completly tore down only thing left In it is the cam. In the book it says to take out the oil pump drive out of the back of the motor but I can't get that out any help would be helpful thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking at the diagram on my dealer service manual it seems that the location of the oil pump drive will require removal of the motor to access it. The manual does say to remove the engine for camshaft replacement.

6. Remove the hold-down clamp (12270), screw and oil pump drive shaft (6A739) from the rear of the cylinder block (6010).

NOTE:
California Ranger and Explorer vehicles have a CID sensor mounted on top of the oil pump drive assembly. Sensor Adjusting Wrench T94T-12270-A is designed for easy access to the hold-down clamp screw.

I don't know if the wrench mentioned above will allow you to get at the bolt without removing the whole engine, but either way I looked up that tool and it seems to go for $70-90 online.

EDIT: Also, there are several forum members who have changed their cams but you will have to do a forum search to find their tales.

there is one bolt believe a 12mm remove that and pry the round thing up.you dont need to remove the oil pump shaft as it comes out from the bottom,just the gear

Looking at the diagram on my dealer service manual it seems that the location of the oil pump drive will require removal of the motor to access it. The manual does say to remove the engine for camshaft replacement.

I don't know if the wrench mentioned above will allow you to get at the bolt without removing the whole engine, but either way I looked up that tool and it seems to go for $70-90 online.

EDIT: Also, there are several forum members who have changed their cams but you will have to do a forum search to find their tales.

he has a 93 dont think he has a CPS

Back