• Register Today It's free!

Removing windshield

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
I need a simple method to remove my windshield without smashing it into pieces. I need to do that in order to repair the rust in the windshield seem. The windshield will not be reused since it is already cracked by rust, but I dont want to have tiny bits of glass all over the garage for the next year. :D
Tahnks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

back the explorer out of the garage?

I got nothin...

Found this, maybe it will be helpful as it states common ways windshields are installed.

Other than mounting quarter glass with screws (such as in the Honda Civics and Accords), there are two ways glass is usually mounted in the vehicle.

Windshields, back lights and quarter glasses are mounted to the body shell to a mating flange where the inner and outer body panels are welded together.

One way the glass is mounted is with rubber weatherstripping to hold the glass in place.

Weatherstripping sometimes comes with strips of metal trim which is inserted after the glass and weatherstrip is installed. Sometimes these trim pieces actually wedge the glass and weatherstrip to help hold them into place.

The other way is where a water-tight adhesive is used to glue the glass in place. This adhesive takes the place of weatherstripping. Usually strips of plastic or metal trim overlap both the body panels and the glass. In this case the glass contributes to the overall structural integrity of the car. In most modern unibody cars this is the usual method of mounting glass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The glass is held in with adhesive.. If you can find yourself a set of windshield removal tools, you can cut the old adhesive out but its a pita.

That adhesive is the strongest stuff I have come across. When you put in a new winshield, make sure you are waring latex gloves. I got that stuff on my hand and it was a pain to get off.

Back