Replace CV Boot or Rebulit Halfshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace CV Boot or Rebulit Halfshaft

jkarecki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
Both my outer CV boots are leaking (1997 explorer AWD 168,000 miles) through some small pin holes and I don't believe the halfshaft has been contaminated or is bad. I am hesitant in buying a rebuilt halfshaft from Autozone or Oreillys because the quality has to be poorer. Trying to seek opinions. If the halfshaft is good, should I just change both outer and inner (not leaking) boots and keep my original halfshaft or am I being paranoid and just buy the rebuilt halfshaft with no mess? I have never done this before. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the Cardone halfshafts from Rock Auto were new- for $49 and new parts vs. that boot work since you have to pull everything out to do it anyway seems like a lot of work, no?

I think i'm going to go with just repacing the whole halfshaft since it costs a few dollars more with less work. And I just got oreilly and autozone to match rockauto's price of $41.79 for the remanufactured halfshaft after you give them your old one worth $100.00. Any opinions on if it's better to go with the remanufactured Cardone or new Cardone? The remanufactured costs more which probably means it's better.

How long does a halfshaft usually last? Mine has 168,000 miles on it.

I think i'm going to go with just repacing the whole halfshaft since it costs a few dollars more with less work. And I just got oreilly and autozone to match rockauto's price of $41.79 for the remanufactured halfshaft after you give them your old one worth $100.00. Any opinions on if it's better to go with the remanufactured Cardone or new Cardone? The remanufactured costs more which probably means it's better.

How long does a halfshaft usually last? Mine has 168,000 miles on it.

I had one last about 2 hours once. :D

It really depends on how you drive, and the terrain.

However , IMO for a normally driven street vehicle they should last 100k miles if the boots hold up.

Definately keep the OE shaft, just replace the boot. FWIW - I just finised putting new boots on my Nissan Maxima. Pretty straight forward job, a little messy, but it's great to know I've maintained the OE quality driveshaft on my FWD car. SMOOTH.....
The whole job cost me under $50 bucks and being I got 150,000 miles out of the originals, I feel its money well spent for hopefully another 150,000 miles.

Back