Replace or Rebuild Lock Cylinders? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace or Rebuild Lock Cylinders?

stubborn1

Reaction score
City, State
WISCONSIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 4wd XLT
I replaced my driver and passenger side door latch mechanisms this weekend to fix an issue with unlocking the doors. The new latch fixed the drivers side problem I was having, but the passenger side is more than just a latch - the lock cylinder wont turn very easy. This is after I removed the cylinder from the door - the key only works every 3rd or 4th time.

Since the cylinders are easy to remove, am I better off ordering replacements from the dealer or calling a locksmith and having them rebuilt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

locksmith is by far the better deal.
Hey can rebuild your lock cylender using his own stuff.
Did you try cleaning it all up real well ? and then lubracating it real well ?

3rd or 4th time is better than never like mine do (don't). I'm curious what you're going to do since my locks are all seized up.

How does everything come out? Is it possible to just take the lock cylinders out and bring them to a locksmith? How to they look from inside the vehicle? I was thinking of using some anti-seizing spray to break them loose. But all the WD-40 and other stuff I've sprayed in has done nothing.

The lock cylinders on the door release very easily. The hardest part is removing the interior door panel. After removing the panel and peeling back the water shield, the cylinders are held in place by one retainer clip. Pull the clip off with a pair of pliers and the cylinder is loose. I haven't pulled the ignition cylinder yet, but from other posts it doesn't look too bad.

I'll try calling a locksmith and see what they can do to rebuild the existing cylinders.

Yeah door locks are cake.
Ignition takes a bit more effort but not too hateful

Back