• Register Today It's free!

Replace wheel studs

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
I've seen a few posts regarding the removal of broken wheel studs, but nothing specifically for my suv. Gets frustrating to pull off the tire and theres a whole different set up from what was explained.

Anyway, I need help with a 2002 explorer 4x4 with abs. This is for the rear wheel.

I tried tappong the stud out but it wont go completely through because it hits another plate of some sort.

Is it possible to remove the axle nut, then move the hub forward to gain enough clearance to remove the broken studs?

I've seen it on other model years, but the set up was different.

Any help? I gotta go to work tomorrow!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a quarter knock out on the back side of the dust shield where your supposed to remove the stud or thats what the manual said. Never tried it though just stumbled across it in adjusting the parking brakes. Like the kind on electrical boxes.

Hi, im not sure if my reply went thru, I didnt see it. Anyway, I was saying that I did see a partial opening in the plate, as if the bolt was turned the right way it could get through. I guess my next issue is that I cant turn the hub to wear the openimg is. Should have both sides of the truck jacked up? That may be an elementary question, sorry.

if you jack both up you should be able to spin them. But if you have LSD then that won't work, you might have to stick in neutral to get them to spin. Just block the front wheels well before you put it in neutral.

Okay. Thanks for the quick reponse too. I'll give that a shot today. Replaced the intake air manifold gaskets. Still leaked. Replaced the manifold. It leaked. They sent me a new one, the rear wheel falls off. Any advice om whats next? Lol! Thanx

Okay, im at the car now. I raised both sides and rotated the wheel to where the knock out is. The the stud a can not be rotated because the spline section is still engaged. And besides that how would I ever have enough clearance to get the new stud in? Are we sure,that axle nut shouldnt come off in order to pull the hub forward?

wish i could get you a pic of the page.

But no shouldn't have too according to the FSM (mileage will vary from experience).

1.) Using punch remove access hole. (Brake sheild has an access hole knockout that must be removed)
Note: Make sure the wheel stud is aligned with the recessed area of the wheel knuckle.
2) Using special tool press the wheel stud until it makes contact with the edge of the wheel knuckle. (pic are vague on that one). Use a Hammer and punch to drive the wheel stud past the edge of the wheel knuckle.
3) Route the stud through the access hole and discard.
so it says in the book, pic are vague too, if that didn't work, got a Sazall? shop just would burn it off.
Good luck

Thanks Bro, aftwr my last post I went back under. I guess the part I was missing was the wheel knuckle. I was referring to that open area as the knock out. After getting the stud through there, I ended up taking off thw springs to e brake to get the clearance. After moving that, ureka! There was the knockout in the brake shield. One out, three more to go.

Thanks again.

Back