Wheel Stud replacement

warnerwh

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Or.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 limited 4.6 4x4
I found the answer(I think) in another thread. My apologies

The tire shop broke a stud on my 2005 Limited 4x4 and the guy at the chassis shop said he couldn't replace the stud without removing the hub and bearing. He said it requires a new bearing too. Does anybody know about this? I know having that same bearing replaced several years ago the mechanic told me it was a major pain to do. It's much appreciated it anyone knows about this. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which bearing?

I have replaced many rear wheel bearings on modern rigs, sure it can be a pita but that’s my job, I’m the mechanic. I mean what kind of a mechanic would say “that’s too hard” lol

It is true with unit bearings they are pressed together at the factory and often there is not enough clearance between the hub and bearing body to press the wheel stud out and a new one in

I thought I found the answer with a post the guy claims is from the Ford Service Manual:

1.) Using punch remove access hole. (Brake sheild has an access hole knockout that must be removed)
Note: Make sure the wheel stud is aligned with the recessed area of the wheel knuckle.
2) Using special tool press the wheel stud until it makes contact with the edge of the wheel knuckle. (pic are vague on that one). Use a Hammer and punch to drive the wheel stud past the edge of the wheel knuckle.
3) Route the stud through the access hole and discard.
so it says in the book, pic are vague too, if that didn't work, got a Sazall? shop just would burn it off.

Here is the thread:

I appreciate your help. Can you clarify where you say there "and often there is not enough clearance between the hub and the bearing body". Why would there be a difference from one vehicle to the next that are equipped exactly the same? Thank you

Actually for your model the rear wheel bearing is not a unit bearing it is just a hub and bearing with snap ring.

Not sure what is so hard about replacing that?! But then I have not had to do a rear bearing on a gen iii 02-05 yet maybe it’s tough access or hard to pull

I just need stud replaced, not the bearing. My Explorer is a Limited 4x4 with 4.6 engine. That same rear bearing was replaced several years ago and the mechanic told me it was a pain in the ass. It seems like he said the Limited wasn't the same as the rest but I am not sure.

In case it may help anyone the link I posted in post 5 has accurate info. It's post 7 ink the link you want. There's youtube vids too.

Back