Replaced 2007 Mountaineer horn with Wolo Maxi Sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced 2007 Mountaineer horn with Wolo Maxi Sound

benman

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Mercury Mountaineer
The horn hadn't been working for a few weeks and knew it wasn't the clockspring or the fuse. Finally did it and was able to reuse the bracket for the new horns. The stock horn is a dual horn and one of the horns looked pretty close to the way it probably did in 2007 but the other was just a rusty metal disk.

I had searched here to find the location and other information and found some unanswered questions so I thought I'd put some tips here for others who have the same problem. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pictures.

• The horn was indeed behind the front driver's side wheel well cover. It is under the upper cover, so you have to remove the lower one first. You have to remove only the two 7mm bolts on the edge of the fender holding the upper one. Once you do that, you can look up from the ground and bend back the cover and see the horn easily. I turned the wheels all the way to the left to do this work.This post by Lucas2009 shows some pictures.

• There is a nut (pretty sure 12mm) in the center of the bracket. You can see this nut clearly in the third picture of the post I listed in the previous bullet. I used a very long extension to get at it. You actually do not need to remove the nut -- just loosen it about a half inch (the bolt is pretty long). I removed it though since I didn't know I didn't have to.

• Perhaps you found this post because, at this point, you've been tugging on the horns for the past hour after you removed the nut and can't figure out what's keeping them attached.

• The bolt is actually a keyhole mount. The body has the keyhole and slot and the keyhole bolt is pressed into the bracket. The nut that you removed just holds the keyhole bolt tight into the bracket. Use a screwdriver to pry the bracket just a little bit away from the body -- just enough so that you can slide the bracket out of the keyhole slot. I think it slid toward the rear of the vehicle but I'm not sure. It will just fall out once you slide it. You'll have to disconnect it from the harness, but that's easier once the bracket is detached from the vehicle.

• As I mentioned, you can simply reuse the bracket with the new horn. I also used the wiring connector so that I didn't have to clip off the factory harness. First, I clipped the wires where they connected to the second horn (furthest from the harness), then I pried the piece of plastic attached to the first horn that has the connector. You can then just use these wires to connect to your new horns.

• Another tip that I learned when I installed a horn in another vehicle was to encase all electrical connections in Auto Goop to keep them from corroding.
That's about it -- very simple and sounds great. Before the horn died, it had been sounding pretty pathetic for months, so this was a much needed repair/upgrade.

Back