Replaced my Radius Arm Bushings Today | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced my Radius Arm Bushings Today

VBVA

Go Dukes!
Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL
My front end has been wobbly and clunky for about 4 months now and I finally got around to replacing those pesky radius arm bushings. Thanks to everyone who has given me pointers along the way. Here is a simplified task list of how we did it:

- Purchased two radius arm bushing kits ($11.88 at Advanced Auto - Ford wanted to charge me $45 for each kit!)
- Purchased Grade 8 Hardware at Pep Boys for less than $4 - 4 bolts 7/16'' dia 14 threads 1 inch long, 8 washers, 4 nuts
- Place truck on jackstands and have a floor jack handy for later - We put the jackstands near the front wheels to support the suspension
- Unbolted all the necessary bolts - 4 holding the two brackets together, 2 holding the fuel filter in place, 2 on each bracket pointing down holding the brackets to the frame, large nut holding the bushings between the bracket and the radius arm
- Moved the fuel filter and parking brake cable out the way for grinding
- Got a good rotary grinder with a strong metal/concrete disk and tackled the 4 rivets holding the RA brackets to the frame (this took the longest)
- Dropped the brackets down and off the radius arms and took off the bushings - These things were toast as you can see in the picture.
- Remember how you took the bushing kits apart and put them back on just the opposite
- Get the brackets with bushings back in place and reattach all bolts placing the 4 new bolts in place of the rivets - these may be a little strenuous to get in, but you'll figure it out
- Clean up and take for a test drive!

I can already tell a difference in the ride. The front suspension is much smoother and there is no more wobbly or clanginess from the front end. Start to finish it took us just under 4 hours and cost less than $40. A shop would have charged me over $400 swap out bad RA bushings!

Attachments

• im000449.jpg
    im000449.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,248

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you got it! :thumbsup:. Nothing better than a job well done!

I did mine last week too. The ride is much better. I used an air hammer with a chisel tip to get the rivets out. It worked really well and I didnt have to deal with all the hot sparks.

Nice job i know how much of a PITA it is, i just did it a week ago. Both of my bushings were worn down like the 2nd one in the pic and 1 was cracked all the way threw.

The RA bushing on the right is from the passenger side. I think the heat from the cat converter just destroys the rubber over time and makes it fall apart like that. Regardless, I am very impressed with how much better the ride feels...

:D Thanks!

This is my next maintenance project and it looks like you have all the info I need, good write up!

LOL What's funny and sad is that you changed your RAB's faster than I changed out 2 rear shocks on my rig! (took me 5 hours).

radius bushings

Guys, I appreciate all the input, but I'm looking for the details on doing the job WITHOUT cutting/replacing the bolts/rivets. If you have bolts and not rivets, then your bushings were already replaced by someone who cut the original rivets off and replaced them with bolts. Unfortunately, mine still has the rivets and I'd rather not go thru the hassle and time of cutting them.
Again, I remember reading about jacking the diff forward to free up the bushings for replacemant. This is the way the dealers do it. Thanks again

I`ve seen a couple of threads talking about that proceedure, It seems much easier to to just cut rivets.

Alas, I can`t find a write up right now about the other way without wading through posts.
:(

I think AlaskanJack tried to do it from the front of the RAs. I remember a thread about loosening some bolt on the axle. Might want to PM him. I definitely found it simpler to undrestand and much less complicated to grind out the rivets and replace them with new bolts.

There are 2 methods, each has its pro's and cons:
1) loosen front shocks, axle pivot bolt, etc. etc.
2) drill and punch out the rivets, replace with Grade8 bolts

The method of loosening axle pivot bolt, loosening shocks, etc etc is in my opinion much more work than simply knocking out a few rivets. Some people say otherwise and if they want to tear down half of their front end just to replace 2 bushings, more power to 'em.
Ford will use method #1, that's the book method. They can charge you more labor that way too.
Most shops will use method #1; but some shops will use #2. I did it myself using method #2, no problems after 3 years. I didn't need an alignment, either.

I nominate this thread for the "List of Useful Threads."

Just wanted to get this to the top of my subscribed page, doing the proceedure tomorrow!

You guys sure about all of them having rivets? Both Explorer's my family owns we have owned since new. I replaced the RA bushings in mine and it had bolts. The bushings look like Ford Originals and by the damage on them look about 10 years old too. My mom's still hase the originals on it and hers too had bolts? Did some come with bolts and not rivets?

I`m comfused too, I only see two rivets, both on the driver`s side. The rest are all bolts. I was prepping them with some penetrating fluid tonight.

Well less grinding for me anyway!

Thanks for the writeup VBVA. After reading your post I decided to replace the radius arm bushings on my '94 X 2 nights ago. 5 hours later and a sore hand (missed the punch with the hammer) I got both sides replaced. The only tip I would like to add for removing the rivets is, I found it easier to knock the heads off if I drilled into them a little way with a 3/8" drill bit. The drilling was pretty easy and the heads popped off after hitting them with the air chisel. The grinder worked but it tore up everything around it and the air chisel was taking too long by itself. This project was a PITA but well worth it because the old X has a nice tight front end again. I did have an alignment done yesterday but it has been pulling to the right for awhile.

Sor hand and a PITA Ritet

Question,
I was knocking off the rivet today on the drivers side of my x for the RA bushing. I got the outside head off the rivet by the fuel filter and e-brake cable but i can't get it to knock thru! Am i missing something about knocking off both heads or am i right by thinking that i can take a punch and hit from the outside i removed and poke it threw? BY the way, i've used pickle forks before and this makes my hand hurt twice as much (i.e. missing the chissel). :eek:
Thanks for any help you can give

I had a problem with one by the fuel filter too, but i just kept hitting it and it eventually came out. I say just keep hitting it.

Hit it really hard, with a punch and a big hammer.
Your fists won`t work. :p

I drilled a little on mine to get good purchase on the rivet for the punch, this could have helped out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, just use a hammer and punch on it; what's left of the rivet will pop out, leaving you a nice smooth hole. Then get some black paint and shoot the bare metal on the hole; this will protect...

Back