Replaced solenoid now battery dead | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced solenoid now battery dead

surf

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Replaced the starter solenoid. The truck started fine and the battery guage showed the battery was fine. Drove around for two weeks without any problem. Parked it for a week and then went to start it and the battery is dead. The battery is relatively new so I don't think that is the problem and the alternator appears to be charging so I don't think that is the problem either. My question is could the solenoid be defective causing a drain on the battery or is it just a coincidence? Anyone encounter this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the battery gauge needle isn't pretty far to the right, it may not be charging. Left of middle is ~12V, right of middle is ~14V. Even better is to check voltage with a multimeter with the engine off, and then with it running.

Sometimes replacing electrical components with new can cause other weak points to go. It could be the voltage regulator went bad, the fuseable link blew when you disconnected/reconnected the battery after the swap, or a lot of other things. Might even just be a coincidence that the battery died shortly after the work.

I'd say charge up the battery and do the voltage tests to be sure it's charging. If it's ~14.6V, it's charging. If the battery drains again, either you've got something draining it (alarm? amps? new electrical items?), or the battery is just bad. If you come up with no other possibilities, use the warranty and have it checked/replaced.

I will check the battery first but I think it might be the starter. I tried to start it again and the starter cranks but it is very slow.

After you check the terminals, if you don't find anything, I'd like to see if you can do this test:

Put a voltmeter on the battery posts. Record voltage with key off, record again while cranking engine, and once again with key off. Post those back and let's see where that takes us... assuming you don't find a bad battery connection to start with.

I'm kind of veering away from your thoughts on the starter. The reason why is because starters just don't drain batteries. I think the last thread about draining battery led to a bad computer. You may have a hunch I don't... if you want to try a new starter, it's fine with me. I would just really surprise me if a new starter fixed this.

Whatever you do, keep us informed!

Cleaned the battery terminals and that did not help. Took battery to auto zone to test and it is fine. Any suggestions?

start checking fuses..

you said the alternator "seemed" to be charging fine.. well have it tested, you had the battery tested and its fine, knock out the alternator by having it tested which will get you to one step closer to knowing what is wrong. electrical sucks trust me, been there done that spent to much money and time and it was the simplest of things...

what type of battery? dont say red top....

starter turning slowly? thats a battery problem, the starter isnt getting enough "power" to turn it.

Back to the original question, can a solenoid cause battery drain? No. Battery drain to the point where it won't start by leaving it somewhere a week... that could happen, depending on accessories, how they are installed, maybe a door was ajar and the dome light drained it.

My initial assessment that the battery was dead was incorrect. The battery is fully charged and has enough voltage to start the car. What occurred when I tried to start the car was the starter turned very slowly and then quit. Now it just clicks when I try to start it. I am thinking it might be the starter or a battery cable.

its clicking??? ok... that is your starter.. best way to test it.. (takes two ppl) crawl under and tap it with a hammer (not a love tap) and have someone turning the key, if it starts after a few tries, its the starter...

if you have a red top they give false positives on the battery check

alternator will only check right if bench tested

battery cables, again two ppl giggle it while trying to start it.

Turned out to be the starter. I guess at over 160,000 miles and lord knows how
many starts it finally quit.

Back