Replaced transfer case output shaft seal still leaking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced transfer case output shaft seal still leaking?

Chris-1997

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I replaced my transfer case output shaft seal about 3 weeks ago and no leaks got under there today and it's back and even worse it doesn't leak on the ground very much it is just all over the undercarriage like it only happens when driving any thoughts on what it is? I'm tempted to just let it leak and top of fluids is that a bad idea? Also anyone know how to adjust e-brake line on 97 mercury mountineer V8 I just spent $120 to have my worn e-brake shoes replaced by my local shop and while it's better it still lurches forward with e-brake fully pushed down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming you didn't over fill...Check out the vent tube for debris, also try adjust the self adjusters out a bit from behind your brake drums...

Fixing those ebrakes right is an art, assuming all the cables move freely (doubtful if original) and the mechanism wasn't rusted solid you can play with the star wheels. Sometime mine works great but other times it goes down lower and seems to grip a bit less. Probably best to bring it back and have them play with it. If it wasn't used in 10 years it may need a bit more work.

Fixing those ebrakes right is an art, assuming all the cables move freely (doubtful if original) and the mechanism wasn't rusted solid you can play with the star wheels. Sometime mine works great but other times it goes down lower and seems to grip a bit less. Probably best to bring it back and have them play with it. If it wasn't used in 10 years it may need a bit more work.
This car has only been owned in California's where I live I only get 3 inches of rain per year and no snow so no salt everything works fine and no rust anywhere on the car I'm serious is amazing. I contacted the head hancho down at the shop and he said not to worry they take a while to start working properly just use them over the next couple of days and they will hold better he said if not come back and we will adjust them free of charge. I also searched it up and came across this which seams to back up what he said Break-In of New Rear Brake Rotors or Shoes - Safe Braking

When you stalled the new seal on the t-case did you put grease on it and the yoke to stop the yoke from burning the seal during your first drive?

When you stalled the new seal on the t-case did you put grease on it and the yoke to stop the yoke from burning the seal during your first drive?
Every video i watch they used atf then just slapped it in there so I done goofed? If so I will get a new one and throw some grease on it any specific grease to use?

ATF probably should have been okay, but I always just regular grease (like wheel bearing grease) and use plenty of it. Also be sure the sealing surface on the yoke is clean, lubed and that there is no grove on its surface where the seal rides. If there's a grove worn in the yoke it will leak and should be sleeved or replaced.

ATF probably should have been okay, but I always just regular grease (like wheel bearing grease) and use plenty of it. Also be sure the sealing surface on the yoke is clean, lubed and that there is no grove on its surface where the seal rides. If there's a grove worn in the yoke it will leak and should be sleeved or replaced.
I didn't put much atf to be honest not enough now that I think about it but removing that nut what the devil and I driveway has a slope to it so it makes it harder I'm gonna go and get a new seal and replace it

This car has only been owned in California's where I live I only get 3 inches of rain per year and no snow so no salt everything works fine and no rust anywhere on the car I'm serious is amazing. I contacted the head hancho down at the shop and he said not to worry they take a while to start working properly just use them over the next couple of days and they will hold better he said if not come back and we will adjust them free of charge. I also searched it up and came across this which seams to back up what he said Break-In of New Rear Brake Rotors or Shoes - Safe Braking
Nice, I bet cars stay young forever where you are! The brake should engage firmly in about 3/4 clicks. That is very good advice. Those small brake shoes need all the help they can get! With rusty brake lines in other states it is good to be sure that system works well.

Back