Replacement Driver's door wire harness? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Driver's door wire harness?

Jeff A Gilbert

Reaction score
City, State
Dahlonega
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
99 Mountaineer power windows don't work because one of the wires is broken in the pillar to door wire bundle.

I'll probably just fix the broken wire, but seems like if one wire is shot, there are probably more on their way out, so I'm thinking about replacing that whole door harness.

Dealer says the harness is no longer available, (I probly wouldn't want to pay dealer retail anyway.)

Any Suggestions for finding a replacement? The Explorer ones I see on Ebay look different. They have accordion-style hose, where my wires are in a plastic cylinder thingie.

Thanks!
Jeff
DoorThingie.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The plastic cylinder is a screw-operated wire connector. Pry off the round plastic cap on top, and you'll see the screw. Loosen it, and the cylinder will open into two halves. The broken wires are always on the vehicle (rather than the door) side of the half-cylinder. For that reason, I wouldn't want to replace the whole wire pigtail. Just fix the broken wires you do find, and you'll know when others break because things will stop working. But the next time this happens, you'll be a pro and you'll be able to fix the wires a lot faster than you could ever replace a pigtail.

Do what you can to fix your existing harness. There's nothing available new and anything used that you can find will likely not be much better than the harness you have.

TIP: Take the barrel connector apart (single 10 MM bolt under the plastic center cap) and remove the door (four 13 MM bolts) to get more room to work. Solder and heat-shrink any repairs you make and you should be good to go. Will additional wires likely break in the future? Perhaps, but fixing them isn't that hard to do. Aligning the door after re-installation is easy as there really isn't any adjustment on the 4 bolts. Maybe just lift the rear corner of the door a tiny bit using a piece of wood on top of a jack if necessary.

Thanks guys,
I didn't know about the 10mm under the cap, that's gonna make it a lot easier

Thanks guys,
I didn't know about the 10mm under the cap, that's gonna make it a lot easier

Yes, the barrel connector is a giant plug. Unscrew the 10 MM bolt and the lower part drops out (the bolt doesn't come out).

Does anyone know the part number for this?

Does anyone know the part number for this?

I'd be very surprised if you can find this part new. Auto manufactures are only required to provide parts for 10 years and this doesn't seem like something the aftermarket would produce. The salvage yard is probably your best bet.

Back