Replacement for AutoLeveling Shocks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement for AutoLeveling Shocks?

Postalsnap

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
I need to replace my shocks but don't want to pay $180/ea. Is it possible to replace the OEM load leveling shocks with say...Rancho RS9000x's? I called a 4x4 warehouse and they said it couldn't be done. I'm sure there is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW, it is a 1997 Eddie Bauer all-wheel drive.

I'm faced with the same issue on my '95 Limited. I have to believe that the ARC controls can be disabled to facilitate replacement of the shocks with non-ARC items. As I understand it, an Explorer equipped with ARC has much softer springs and as a result, one may need to bolster the rear springs either by replacing them or installing Add-A-Leafs or shackles or both to keep the rear from sagging. I just installed 31X10.50's on 15X8's without spring modifications. I have 4 Bilsteins to install but I'm waiting for my shackles to arrive which are currently back ordered. I was able to get wheels, shocks and the shackle kits for what 4 new oem ARC shocks cost. I needed tires anyway. You can research the shocks you mentioned as far as popularity and quality is concerned, but if you have the extra money, I believe Bilstiens are the ticket for quality and performance.

What model of Bilsteins did you get? Is there a place you can recommend that I go and find these mods like you're doing?

I know you can turn off the ARC by flipping the switch in the back. Will probably sound the trouble alarm on the "drive computer" down in the center console.

The Bilstein part numbers are F4-B46-2133-HO (front) and F4-B46-2134-HO (rear) and they run around $65 each. Shop around. You may find another brand that suits your needs better. I got the Bilsteins because I have a specific local source where I can stretch my bucks further.

Hey,

I've got ARC too (sounds like a disease)... I was wondering if there is a way to force the message center/drive computer to 'forget' that the truck once had ARC?

I'm just about to pass 150,000 miles and I'll be needing some new shocks (again)... and tires. If there is a way around the computer, it would definitely be nice to use that money as a start for a lift and some 33's rather than keeping it stock...

Back