Replacement for Stock 2002 Eddie Bower radio/6 cd player | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement for Stock 2002 Eddie Bower radio/6 cd player

freddyville

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg,Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
My stock radio needs replacing--ID is 1L2F-18C815-BD. Must I replace with exactly this unit or will other Ford/Mercury units work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any unit that looks like it with the same connector on the back will work. Mustang, Explorer, Mountaineer and even a 2007 Mercury Mariner.

Don't spend too much. $35 or so from a wrecker. For the prices on eBay, I'd go aftermarket.

If replacing with a factory unit, the key is making sure that you have the same connections at the back. I'm assuming you have a 6CD + sub stereo. This has 3 plugs. There is another stereo that looks the same in non-sub vehicles that only has 80 watts and no sub, so only two plug connections.

May I ask a slightly related question, in case someone needs the OEM look.

Will any of the OEM radios play MP3's, or are they all straight full sized songs for all of them? I have an aftermarket radio in my 99, just a single CD player that does play MP3's. But the big OEM buttons are better, and more MP3 discs would be great if they did that.

My stock radio needs replacing--ID is 1L2F-18C815-BD. Must I replace with exactly this unit or will other Ford/Mercury units work?

See my attached pics. Both of these are 6CD + sub units. The grey one (1L2F) is out of an 01 Sport Trac. The black one (3L2T) is out of an 03 Eddie Bauer. They are both 290 watt units with 3 connectors at the back. The wire colors and pin out locations vary slightly, but the plugs fit into each others connectors.

You will also notice that the Sport Trac stereo, although virtually identical to the EB, mounts differently. There are two holes one each side that access the metal spring flaps. The EB has a small shroud that uses the lower bolt holes to mount.

Attachments

• IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3934.jpg
    IMG_3934.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3935.jpg
    IMG_3935.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3936.jpg
    IMG_3936.jpg