replacing a blown sub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing a blown sub

cshaw56

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 eddie bauer
i have a '96 ford explorer eddie bauer with a premium sound system. recently i blew out my factory sub and was wondering if i could replace it with an aftermarket subwoofer. Would i need a new amp? can the aftermarket sub be hooked up to my factory system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just posted on this...i replaced a sub in a 1995 with jbl sound....speaker i used was a JLaudio 6w0..fits and sounds great...90 bux...it was 8 ohm..if that helps

Romarr I have the same problem that Cshaw56. What do I ask for and where couuld I go to get the replacement? I am so ignorant on this field and it sucks to have a bad radio.

Advice please thank you

Jaime

Jaime..all you have to do is go to the Jl Audio site...and find a dealer near you..or order from site...the sub i installed is the 6W0 8 ohms...was 89 bux....and if you want the audio shop to install it's another 75 dollars or so...that's up to you.....it's not a hard job just takes a little time...and everything fits and works..sounds better than JBl but is not obnoxious,,,,,,,,,,,Ron

nice, I will do it.

Thank you

Jaime

I think going to a high-end speaker when the amp really isn't on par with the same quality is a waste of $$$. Kicker and other name-brands also make a 6.5" that would have the similar specs as the JL Audio but at half the price. You can get thses speakers from most car-audio stores but you will probably get a better price if you go online. Try Amazon.com or Crutchfield.com.
In order for most people to hear the difference between the two, you would need a higher quality head unit and amp and compare them side-by-side. Just my $.02

Hey I went to the site and I dont see anything listed as 6W0 8 hms I see this list W7
8W7
10W7
12W7
13W7

W6v2
10W6v2
12W6v2
13W6v2

TW5
13TW5

W3v3
6W3v3
8W3v3
10W3v3
12W3v3
13W3v3

W1v2
8W1v2
10W1v2
12W1v2
13W1v2

can you help me ????? sorry man I am so naivy but I need a radiooooo

thanks

just do a google or yahoo search for JL Audio 6W0
2073.jpg

awesome, great I will do it. Thank you very much I will let you know if I find it.

Thanks appreciate it very much

Jaime

Guys I found this one on ebay and if its ok I'll get it and I will installed if its not so hard to do

6W0 8- JL Audio 6.5" 8 Ohm SVC Subwoofer New please advice.

Thank you

forgot to mention my car is a 1996 ford explorer so this one will work right???

thanks

That should work just fine, Single voice coil at 8 ohms

Thank you and I am buying it right now.

Thanks and I'll let you know guys if I get this fix correctly.

Jaime

that's the one...good luck

Once you hear how much better the new sub is you really are going to want to push it with a better amp.

OK guys I got it and its working. Sounds really good. I need more help thou. I want to install a roof mount dvd player and replace the factory radio with one that comes with the roof dvd player. I went to see one over the weekend, the brand was Performance Teknique, the scree is 12in and the radio receiver plays cd, mp3's, and it has a A/V input for the ipod. I am not good at this and I am sure there will be someone out there who might want to hit me with a big figure. This place that I went to see quote me $600.00. Labor included. Should I do it? or can some of the expertise in this forum guide me like you guys did it with the sub? Thanks appreciate it very much.

Jaime

I have heard bad things about that brand, but I am sure someone on here loves them...

Well I hope it doesnt give me any problems, however anyone can tell me where to go or what to get within $500.00 budget? thanks

Jaime

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back