Replacing heated/cooled seat fan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing heated/cooled seat fan?

Shane.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
I've read alot of threads on complaints with the heated/cooled seats in the limited but never a solution on how to make them better. I noticed that the passenger side gets way warmer and you can hear the fan kick in right away however with the drivers side the fan doesnt seem to kick in on heated and barely kicks in on cooled.

Wondering if anyone has changed out the fan/motor and if this solved the problem? Its a 2012 limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy. It is a big problem even on the F150’s. Check out this thread it has a few things to check and a fix if you want to buy it. Look for Seatguru he sells an aftermarket kit to make it breath better. The are really pretty easy to install once you decide to do it. I did my 150 and my EX in under half an hour. I have to go back in to fix the first seat I did because I routed the exhaust hose wrong.

Cooling Seats issue and TSB feedback - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Thanks for the response, is seat gurus kit for the 2015s on though not sure if it would fit earlier models. And does this only help cooling as I have a big issue with the heating too.

Thanks for the response, is seat gurus kit for the 2015s on though not sure if it would fit earlier models. And does this only help cooling as I have a big issue with the heating too.

It helps with both. It allows the cabin air from under the seat to be brought up into the seat back though the fan and the EDS unit. Think of the TEDS unit like the coolers that do not need ice, you plug it in one way it cools plug it in the other and it heats. Then allows the exhaust to be routed under the seat instead of into the back of the seat between the cushion and cover. Yon can PM or E-mail him from his site and ask if they will fit your model.

Relevant threads (searched):
2016 Cooled Seats

fordseatfix
I checked that TSB in the Forum's TSB thread yesterday but it seems that OP was not complaining about the seat backs so I didn't bother with it. Don't know if that TSB also affects the seat cushions.

Peter

So I had a reply back from seat guru and his kit is only for later models unfortunately.

Back