• Register Today It's free!

Replacing PCV Valve, '02 4.6L

DavidS

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
I'm sure I need to change out the PCV valve on my '02 EB 4.6L. I've found the valve on the left side of the engine but I can't figure out how to remove it. I'm used to the ones on older cars that basically pulled out of a rubber grommet in the valve cover but this one looks quite different. Can anyone tell me how to do this so that I don't damage something? Thanks!

Yup, I just replaced mine recently. For clarification to some people..."left side" location is this case would mean the passenger side. Basically, you just untwist it counter-clockwise about 1/4 to 1/2 turn as I recall. There is a rubber o-ring that makes the seal when it is installed. As I recall, the plastic PCV either is molded with a hex or square shape near where it meets the valve cover. To make it easy on your fingers just use a small cresent wrench to grab it and turn it counter clockwise. You might want to pick up a new PCV first and take a look at what you are installing before you take the old one off. BTW, regarding the connection of the vacuum tube to the PCV, it is connected with a rubber angle hose. Just pull it off like you would expect a rubber hose would pull off.

any idea on what mileage it is recommended to be replaced?

Back