Replacing/repairing light display in Explorer radio. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing/repairing light display in Explorer radio.

rondhunter

Reaction score
City, State
Palmetto, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
:salute:I have a '98 Ford Explorer and the radio light display is out, but all other functions appear to work. I know how to remover the radio cluster and how to remove the radio from the bezel, but how do you repair the light display or replace it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VERY common problem with the head units on certain 2nd gen Explorers. Lots of threads on how to repair. If you've got good soldering skills, go to work. My '99 had the problem. I put in an aftermarket head unit which gives much better audio performance anyhow.

Check the achives for threads on how the fix is done. EF has two different search tools to help.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks for the info. I'm not the best at soldering, but I'm interested in the "late model head unit" you mentioned. I have no idea what a head unit is, specify. Also, where can one be obtained? how expensive? How to exchange the old with the new head? Thanks for you time.

Thanks for the info. I'm not the best at soldering, but I'm interested in the "late model head unit" you mentioned. I have no idea what a head unit is, specify. Also, where can one be obtained? how expensive? How to exchange the old with the new head? Thanks for you time.

I said "aftermarket" head unit. i.e. Pioneer (my case), Alpine, Kenwood etc. You get a much better feature set and better specs putting in your own system. LOTS of options at your disposal based on tastes, needs and of course budget. I've never been impressed with OEM audio on any of the four Explorers I've owned including two with so called "premium" sound (i.e. built in subwoofer etc).

This post is in the audio forum. LOTS of info in the site's archives that will answer all the questions you may have if you go that route.

Back