• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Shocks '94 XLT 4x4

Chris_94

Reaction score
City, State
Arvada, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 4x4 XLT V6
I bought Tuff Country shocks from Summit Racing for the wifes Explorer. This is the first time I've been under the truck to work on it. Rear shocks mount with some kind of cross tube that runs through the top bushing in the shock. The cross tubes were not factory installed. The tube is crimped shut on both ends and it's wider than the hole in the bushing. I see no way to get it through the hole except to beat it in there with a hammer.

Anybody else know what I'm talking about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cross-tube is factory installed on the rear shocks, it's how they mount up to the rear frame crossmember.

You remove the rear shocks by first loosening and removing the lower bolt in the lower shock mounts, then loosening the bolts on top of the crossmember that hold down either end of the cross-tube, removing the bolts, and then pull the bottom of the shock out of the lower mount, positioning the top of the shock and the cross-tube so it can come out downward through the crossmember hole that the upper part of the shock was in.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

If the Tuff Country shocks don't have the cross-tube already installed, either call and complain and have them send a pair with the tube installed, or you can work on pulling out the old tube from the old shocks and sticking it through the bushing on the new ones.

Yes, the problem is the new shocks don't have the cross tube installed in the upper shock bushing.

Like I wrote, you can either call and complain to Summit Racing and/or Tuff Country and have them send a pair with the tube installed, or you can work on pulling out the old tube from the old shocks and sticking it through the bushing on the new ones.

If it turns out Tuff Country just doesn't include or install the tube on the rear shocks for the Explorer, you could just return them and buy another brand that does.

Yeah, it just stinks. I don't want to mess with the old bushings. To me, it seams easier to simply remove the new bushings from the new shoocks (which would have to be done any way with your method) and then slip the metal cross tube through, then reinsert. I guess I'd rather have the new bushings.

Did I mention I bought these parts 3 months ago and I'm just now getting 'round to installing them? :shifty_ey: I'm not sure if Summit would even take them back now. :dunno: Worth a call on Monday I guess.

It's not that tough on shocks with rubber eye bushings. It can take a bit more effort on shocks with poly bushings, but it's still possible to do if you have something to hold the shock, but if you do try it, don't clamp the shock body with anything.

Summit Racing is a very big business. They'll work with you if you're within the return window and just want an exchange or if the problem with the product is a defect.

You might want to call Tuff Country first and ask them if their shocks for the Explorer just don't come with the necessary hardware. They might not even be aware of it, or whoever makes the shocks for them might just be cheaping out.

I see no way to get it through the hole except to beat it in there with a hammer.
Yeah that's how you do it. I have never had any Explorer shocks with the cross tube already in except for a direct fit pair from sears. Rancho, Pro comp, Skyjacker, & my current set of Monroe's never had them installed already. They all did come with the right hardware though.

Yeah that's how you do it. I have never had any Explorer shocks with the cross tube already in except for a direct fit pair from sears. Rancho, Pro comp, Skyjacker, & my current set of Monroe's never had them installed already. They all did come with the right hardware though.

Good info. Thank you.

I just installed some gabriel proguards that had the cross bar in them as well. I'm pretty sure the shocks that were in there were factory, they had the pressed in studs in the cross bar. The difference in ride quality is unreal.

Back