Replacing speakers in 2003 XLT | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing speakers in 2003 XLT

Okay, so if I understand correctly you just pull up on the panels to get them to come off. Meaning pull up towards the roof of the truck?

I may just replace the speakers and only the speakers. I may at some point put my 4 channel back in. I will most likly keep the stock deck. Since I got Sirius I found no need to have a deck that plays mp3s. The stock one has the 6 disk changer for my regular audio cds, and that is something i like. If I do plan on adding an amp later on I have line converters sitting around here some place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL, thanks, however, I just found that link searching around for something else. Wow, it looks like a cake walk compared to those stupid connectors on the gen II explorers.

How easy is it to get to the factory subwoofer?

The factory sub you have to remove the whole panel. I've never done it on my '05, but in my old 94 I couldn't get all the screw holes to line up exactly right again haha.

Looks like a real pain to get to the factory sub. I did get one of the door paels off. Once I found where all the screws were at....wow those are so easy to take off. Tomorrow I plan on getting the panels off and testing the stock speakers vs the kickers. I may have a problem with the kickers.

The kickers are coax. The tweeter is in its own basket attached to a post in the center of the woofer. On 3 of them it is kind of loose. Any possible fixes to these.

okay,

I am replacing the back ones with my kickers. The kickers sound better then the factory 6x8. The fronts I don't know about yet. The fronts have a tweeter and a 4" in the 6x8 whole. I need to play different music and test them out. See how the all sound. I'm starting to think that the 4 channel amp I had before powering them limited the range the speakers played at.

yeah the kickers will probably sound better. The little Ford 4" midrange driver has a hard time sometimes.

Has anyone replaced the factory sub with an aftermarket 8". (the factory amp is still used)

Bump,

All speakers are now replaced. I am thinking of possibly replacing the HU. I kind of have one from my last explorer but I don't know if I am going to carry it over. I don't like how the factory is dbl din.

Any good double Din set ups out there?

Has anyone replaced the factory sub with an aftermarket 8". (the factory amp is still used)

I have a similar setup to you right now (factory HU, aftermarket front and rear speakers, factory sub). Have you had any luck finding info on the factory sub and amp combination and possibly replacing it?

I'm looking to either:
1. Keep stock sub amp, keep stock enclosure, replace stock sub only
2. Replace stock sub amp, replace stock sub, keep factory enclosure.

I also may add a four channel amp to drive the front and rears.

It's not that the system sounds bad right now, but you can always sound better, ya know?

Back