Replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator on 04 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator on 04 Explorer

mdisalvo

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Anybody have any advice or info on how to go about this? Does anybody know if it's an expensive part? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody have any advice or info on how to go about this? Does anybody know if it's an expensive part? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

The pressure regulator is located at the end of the right side fuel rail. You also have a fuel pressure and fuel temp sensor on the middle of the rail.

A Haynes repair manual will have the information you need on replacing it.

Did a shop diagnose this as your issue?

No, I had the code PO172 come up on my computer and my gas mileage has recently decreased significantly. After doing some reading I figured I would look into replacing the fuel pressure regulator and see where that took me...do you think it could just be a dirty MAF? I was going to clean that first.

No, I had the code PO172 come up on my computer and my gas mileage has recently decreased significantly. After doing some reading I figured I would look into replacing the fuel pressure regulator and see where that took me...do you think it could just be a dirty MAF? I was going to clean that first.

While you're cleaning the MAF, inspect your air filter. The P0172 is a rich right cylinder bank. Here's some things you may want to look at with a P0172 code:

Induction System
a) air leaks after MAF
b) Vacuum leaks
c) PCV system
d) Improperly seated oil dip stick

EGR System
a) Leaking gasket
b) Stuck EGR Valve
c) Leaking Diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine
a) oil overfill
b) cam timing