replacing the starter solenoid and battery cables | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replacing the starter solenoid and battery cables

thegoon543

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Escape Hybrid Limited
im fixing to replace my starter solenoid and battery cables (and connectors) after reading several posts of people having similar problems that I'm having with starting. my battery is less than a year old so i know that it is not the culprit. i know it is relatively easy to replace the cables and solenoid. however, i am not entirely skilled in automotive knowledge so i do not know the process to go through to remedy this. where is the starter and the starter solenoid? i am thinking the solenoid is the small circular device mounted just to the left of the battery, but i have no clue.

This is the whole battery.
This is the positive post of the battery.

Also, when i go to buy battery cables, what length or type do i get them in?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is the starter relay the same thing as a starter solenoid?

Yes the starter solenoid(relay) is on the fender next to the battery.

I looked at your battery pics, those battery terminals are probably your only problem. Don't ever buy those bolt on type, or rely on them. They always corrode. Always try to save the factory cables for as long as possible, they are the best.

You very much need two new battery cables, with decent battery terminals. Install some quality cables, and I bet you don't have any more starting problems. Good luck,

I go to West marine and buy the wire and fittings I need. I solder everything myself, crimp everything myself, its much cheaper and I know its done correctly.

There are TWO starter solenoids on our trucks, the fender mounted unit and the starter itself has one built in.

I have messed with the wires down to the starter more then you could ever imagine, the routing the wires themselves, etc. Headers = melt everything.

Eventually I found my loose connection was in the steering column :)
the 5.0L has a much much better starter location and wire routing then the 4.0L ever did (pass side)

good luck!

Like CDW said, your cables look horrible. Remove the old cables and bring them with you to the auto store and get the same lengths. Then clean your battery terminals with baking soda and water, let dry and install new cables. I would do that before I messed with the starter or anything else. Your cables look to be your problem.

eh...

well, i know the thick gauge starter wires need replacing, but what about the thinner gauge wires also coming from the same connector?

i have a college degree but im dumb to this sorta stuff. :confused:

Some of those multiple wire cables can be bought to match. You probably wouldn't like to hear the price from Ford.

If you cannot match them, then buy the closest to them, and crimp terminals onto the smaller wires. Be sure to get terminal ends which will fit onto the battery terminal bolts. Take off the nut, and bolt them on. Good luck,

You can go to Autozone and get an OE replacement positive battery cable for it. I got one for my 92 X because a previous owner had replaced the end with one of those cheap ends like you have. I was having a lot of corrosion problems with it. After putting on the new cable, no more problems. It fit well and had all the correct wires, no hassles in installation either.

Chris

the wires to the starter are not difficult to rebuild, it just looks confusing because they are wrapped up in a bunch of conduit and tape.

Replace them both, as I said before you can get everything you need at West marine or Lowes for el cheapo, build it yourself.
I suggest soldering all connections and routing away from heat.

got the cable....now what?

open this before reading further.

so i went and bought a new positive battery cable from pep boys and i got the old connector and old electrical tape off the old cables.

the thicker gauge cable (number 3) im assuming is the starter cable. it goes off the battery straight down and underneath the battery tray. i cant seem to follow it. where does it go? :confused:

also, what are the other cables (numbers 1 and 2)?

your going to have to remove your air box and intake stuff to see down into were them wires are going "get **** out the way" so you can see said the blind man!!!!

Number 1 and 2 both run to the starter. The smaller gauge wire is a press on connection and the larger gauge has and eyelet and bolts on. Once you remove the factory red plastic cover you'll be able to see better and if you can get the starter upper bots and lower stud out without breaking them it would probably be easier to reinstall the connections.

The positive runs together with the negative for a short run into some corregated plastic covering along the frame then through a metal bracket that keeps it away from heat sources and any pinch points over on the passenger side. The negative terminates at this point where it is bolted to the block. I believe one of the larger brackets is removed when you unbolt the negative from the block. Then it runs under the oil pan and at this point is covered with a generic looking plastic sleeve then over to the starter. If I were you I'd make my own wires and use either military style terminals or flag style terminals (NAPA) careful the negative and positive are slightly different and like 410 and CDW6212R said wick the wire ends solder the connections and buy new ends and just clip the old crap that was factory encased in the lead terminals and put on the new ends.

im pretty sure i bought the right cable from pep boys (it did not specify it as a positive cable) but it looked similar:

new cable
new cable end
other end of new cable

im not so sure i can do this without doing some serious arm contortion through the tube and wire guts of the engine. might just have to have it towed to the shop to get it changed out. ill try one more time though.

ummm get it towed into a person you can look in the eye and they will charge you an honest hours labor

410... I buy a lot of stuff at West, have a store about a mile away and marine grade stuff is usually top notch (and pricey)...(I even refinished a fiberglass shower using their epoxy paint and it looked new!)... but, never thought about battery wiring stuff though, please share what you buy and why etc ? Maybe show us some pix?

Oh and folks, the Ford Dealer price for a POS battery cable is, as I recall... $132.

Back