Replacing Viscous Coupler on 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Viscous Coupler on 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD

BajaBlaster

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 5.0
Hello Explorers,

I have removed my transfer case, Taken it apart, replaced the bearing and bushing with both seals in front half of case. I have brand new VC and chain to install. Just now I realized that the viscous coupler is trapped onto this hollow shaft by a pressed on bearing on one side and a pressed on gear on the other side. My question is, Do you need a hydraulic press to removed either the gear or the bearing in order to remove the old VC and install the new VC? Do you have to remove just one side( either the gear or the bearing) or both? Can this be done with a simple 3 jaw puller tool? I noticed a very small (2mm) hole in the gear that doesn't seem to have any purpose other than maybe aligning the gear onto the shaft? The hole goes all the way through the gear and the shaft and you can stick a tiny Allen wrench all the way through. I've also noticed about 1/8" to 3/16" of play in the VC and the chain gear in the middle of shaft. One end of the shaft has a gear that is solid and the other end has a large bearing that is solid but the VC slides back and forth about 1/8" to 3/16". I assume this play is supposed to be there to help the chain align the gears.

Thanks for any advice!
BajaBlaster

image000000.jpg

The large bearing pressed onto bottom of shaft. My hand is holding onto the Viscous coupler.

image000001.jpg

The Pressed on gear on the top of shaft that the planetary style gears ride around. This is the gear with the small hole that goes through the collar and through one side of the shaft it is pressed onto.

image000002.jpg

The small hole in the collar of the middle gear for the planetary gear carrier.

image000003.jpg

View of inside of hollow shaft of the small hole that lines up with the hole in the gear that rides in center of planetary gear carrier.

Thanks Again!

Back