Reprogramming For Tire Size and Gear Ratios | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reprogramming For Tire Size and Gear Ratios

Well, I finally figured out how to reprogram (for the speedo to read correctly and so on) for tire size and gear ratio changes in the 98-01 Explorers/Rangers/Mountys. I used a NGS (Factory Ford scan/program tool - no longer in use anymore) with all of its recent updates (up until last year I believe), and was able to go into the ABS system and change the settings manually. Now, as probably many of you know, I tried to go through the GEM Module to reprogram, but it would never take any of my programs/settings (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134477. Well, I basically back doored it going through the ABS module which is what the GEM module acually uses for the speedo. So with change the settings in the ABS module, it changes the GEM Module. Here is a helpful list:

98-01 -- Reprogramable through the GEM or ABS Module
91-97 -- Gear Change (for the transmission)

Now, Ford charges .7 hrs for a reprogram as described in the above links and in the post. It took possibly 3 minutes to change everything. Granted, I knew the Revolutions Per Mile ahead of time, but that would of taken just as long. Here is how you figure out your REVS/Mile:

Chalk Test:

Mark your tire at the bottom with a chalk pencil or something visible (also mark on the pavement) and then roll forward until it has made a full revolution and mark another mark on the pavement. Then measure between the two marks and that is 1 revolution. In my case mine came out to be 8' and 5"s which in turn changes to 101"! So now what? Here is something helpful:

1 mile = 5280 ft x 12" = 63,361 inches

Now, devide 63,361 inches by 101 inches (your one revolution) and you will end up with 627.33 Revs/Mile. Obviously each vehicle will be different (i.e. tire size), but my set up was 33" tall tires with 4.56:1 Gear Ratios.

Well, now that you have all these numbers what do you do? Well, do the following (in the NGS):

1. SELECT: SERVICE BAY FUNCTIONS
2. SELECT: ABS
3. SELECT: TIRE SIZE/AXLE RATIO CONFIGURE
a. The NGS Tester will display "DETERMINING MODULE PROTOCOL, PLEASE WAIT"
b. When NGS Tester is ready, press {TRIGGER} to continue.
4. ENTER TIRE SIZE/REVOLUTIONS PER MILE (REV/MILE)
5. SELECT: DONE

I know that not many of you have a NGS, but this is just so you know what happens when whoever does the reprogramming is doing and you can stay up to date. My speedo is in within 1-2mph! Use to be 5mph+ at 0-45mph and 10mph+ 55mph+! It's a wonderful thing now.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got that little fuel computer thing, which is annoying, but it would be more annoying if it were off. Does this reprogramming fix that as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the procedure for an 03. Can the dealer reprogram the PCM for different tire size?

The computer doesn't care what gear ratio you have when it comes to your speedometer, by reprogramming, it knows that one revolution of the axle (read by abs toner ring) = (x) inches and it calculates speed from there. It can then use that information to calculate shift points.

Problem with the measuring of the circumfrance of the tire is that with road deflection of the tire, the measurement can be incorrect, if you mark and roll the wheel under the load of the truck you get a more accurate reading. I am sure it would get you very close however.

Josh

O.K., I have a question about all of this. Am I reading correctly that on a tone ring Explorer (1998 up) that changing gears will have no effect on the vehicle in terms of the speedometer and shift points if the tire diameter remains the same as factory original? I am looking at putting 4.10's in my X and I want to have everything mapped out and ready to go in advance.

will not affect your speedo.... the shift point thing i duno about.

I guess 1998 was a transition year for Ford. If you look at SCT's web site, it says that the SCT2 adjusts the gear ratio and tire size on 1999 and up vehichles. There is a post in their forums that says that 1998 Mustangs used a drive gear off the transmission for the speedometer and transmission output speed feedback. 1998 X's used a tone ring via the GEM/ABS system to control the speedometer. So my question is, do I need to tell the PCM that the differential gear ratio has been changed or does the GEM module tell the PCM whats going on?

Bump.

it goes by revolutions of the wheel. so lets say you're at 3.55 gear ration with 100 revs per mile on 33 inch tires(made up number), and you bump your gear ratio to 4.10 on 33 inch tires... your revs per mile is still 100 per mile. your engine turns more, but the tire rotations stay the same. since the gizmo in the rear end reads revs per mile, you can do whatever you want to the gear ratio, and it will still read accurately as long as it is setup properly for your tire size.

hope that helps.

For the 98~2001 4-door Explorers that make the speedo correction in the 4WABS Module: The factory shop manual gives the correct tire revs per mile value for factory Explorer tire sizes. Revs/mile for other tires can often be found on tire manufacturers' sites.

If you're stuck with a tire and no specs, you can calculate the revs per mile youself. A method using a chalk mark to determine rolling circumference was given earlier in this thread. Here is an alternate method from the Explorer factory shop manual:

• Inflate the tires to the correct cold inflation value.
  • Park on a level surface with the weight of the truck on the tire.
  • Carefully measure from the level ground to the top of the tread.
  • Divide 20,168 by the tire height measurement (in inches) to get the tire revs/mile.
  • Use the dealer configuration tool to enter the revs/mile value into the 4WABS Module.

Here are a few generic factory values for reference:
(revs/mile)

225/70R15 - 00761
235/75R15 - 00721
255/70R16 - 00691
31x10.50R15 - 00677

Allright, so I just read through this thread and if I read it right, correcting the Speedo wont correct the shift, so could i Dealership correct both the speedo and rpm's and shift points? And I'm still in High School, and im in auto and we have a Scan tool, not sure what kind but its a nice little thing. You think the scan tool may be able to correct the speed and shifts?

What can you use to reprogram a 2002 Sport?

What can you use to reprogram a 2002 Sport?
A 2002 Sport does the speedometer correction in the PCM. A dealer can adjust for a tire diameter and/or gear ratio change using an NGS or equivalent tool. It could also be done via an aftermarket flash programmer like those from SCT or Sniper.

Back